Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Hey Robert

I believe Yancy's login on here is Mathewsbowman. Hey yancy if you see this put upa pic of your bull, Id love to see him. I never did connect with a cow, I had a shot at one but she was 360 yards out and Im not comfortable at that distance. I could have shot 3 different bulls, but that seemed to be the story everywhere out there. I actually snuck in within 27 yards on a bull and took some really great pictures. I may have not shot an elk but I have 220 pictures to remember the hunt. It was a complete blast and even if the outcome was the same I would still do it in a heartbeat.

For those of you that have the hunt next week if you want some pointers feel free to give me a call at 405-823-4384. Tomorrow I will try to get up some pictures and some tips that will hopefully help some of you out. For now I need to recover, I went to sleep last night at 8pm and just got up at 11am. Be prepared to put in alot of work, we would get dropped off in our area around 6-630 and wee would get picked up about an hour after dark, generally we didnt get back to our vehicles till 8-830. so theres not alot of room for eating and sleeping once your out of your area. You can come in around lunch time if you would like but I stayed out there every minute that I could. There was a point half way through the second day that I just wanted to go in and get some sleep, but I fought through it. You have to mentally prepare yourself for this hunt, stop often and glass keep well hydrated and eat something everytime you stop. It will help keep you going, heck the first day I went so far back in there I stopped 3 times to take 10-15 minute naps on the way back. Ill put up some more tips and stuff up tomorrow, maybe one of you will find two of my jackets when your out there....ill explain that tomorrow as well

Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Spike

Hey Robert and Dave, Buck I and Dave2601.
I did get a pretty nice bull and man was he hard to get out. I'm totally worn out and hurt all over. I didn't get to see Robert again or Dave but it was nice meeting you guys. It's funny we all got in the same group. Robert and I use to live next door to each other in Moore. I will get some pics. It was a great time and I enjoyed all the guys that I me. I just took my elk to the taxidermy and he field dressed 462 lbs, I think they said that was the heaviest one checked in this week.
I will get some pics for you guys next week.
Yancey Bishop
Old 12-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

It is wierd out of all those people the three of us ended up one the same truck. Dang 462 lbs, big ole sucker. It may be rough for the folks that have the hunt next week, I hear its suppose to be alot of ice. But then again with some snow on the ground the elk will be easy to spot. It was great to meet both of you guys.

Heres a tip for you guys headed down next week, do not set down a jacket or binos or pack and expet to come back and get it on the way back down a mountain. I lost two jackets up on Mt. Lauramac, I searched for three hours with no luck. another hunter in the area saw me go up and saw me when I was searching and he said I was on the same area that I used when I went up. And if you can find them up there you are more than welcome to them.

Bring some good binos 10X, heck if I could go back I would bring a spotting scope. It can be tough to spot the elk if they arent moving.

Bring some bandaids and mole skin to fix up your blisters...you will get them.

bring a lunch with you andstay out all day,you will neverbe able to get into those areas ever again...make the most of it.

Get ready to be physically and mentally broken, half way through the second day I was ready to give up.Take breaks through out the day to recharge and dont let it get you down. I dont know exactly how far Robert and I went the first day but I think he said his elk was back in 4-5 miles. Oncehe got his elk out I continued on at least another 2 miles. so that isaround 12-14 miles of hiking. It will wear you down quickly.

If you can get out and do some long range shooting 300-400 yards. Im not comfortable shooting over 250 so I was limited. If I was capible shooting at 300-400yards I could have shot 4 different cows. Maybe I should have gone for it but the last thing I wanted to do is to wound an elk out there becauseit would have been impossible to track
Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

This weather sucks for the guys that have the elk hunt this week, I hope they will reschedule it for them.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Spike

Hey Dave. I was complaining about it being 80 degrees and now the guys this week have ice to deal with.
I will try and post a pic today of my bull.
The ice storm hit Moore pretty hard and I still don't have electricity.
YB
Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Spike

Hey guys it will not let me post the pic because it's too large. shoot me your e mail and I will get you a pic.
Thanks. My E mail is [email protected]
Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

I know its crazy. Our first day was 75-80, now all this ice. I hope they rescheduled it for them, i couldnt imagine trying to get around out there with all the ice. Heck its hard enough trying to walk across all the boulders when they were dry. My email is [email protected]. Send me the photo and Ill resize it for you.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Here you go Yancy. Great looking bull

Old 12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Spike

Thanks Dave.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet Bull!Congrats!

Quick Reply: Hunting the Wichita Mountains, I actually got drawn for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.