HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Squirrel season in Oklahoma (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/191044-squirrel-season-oklahoma.html)

Valaris99 05-09-2007 11:57 PM

Squirrel season in Oklahoma

Ok so seeing as my first turkey season was a huge blast, we have squirrel season opening in about a week i believe. Davs2601 and I are planning to go out an see if we can make some squirrel jerky. I was just curious if anyone knew if Lexington WMA was worth hunting or maybe some better areas? I know a certain squirrel that gave our position away at lexington is going to be target #1!!!;)

timbercruiser 05-10-2007 05:49 AM

RE: Squirrel season in Oklahoma

Squirrel season in May? I would have thought it was too dang hot and all the mama squirrels would be pregnant....

Valaris99 05-10-2007 07:01 AM

Yeah I just heard the news yesterday. Our longest season here i guess. May 15, 2007 - Jan. 31, 2008; statewide . that is per the oklahoma wildlife dept. Not sure if I will be the biggest fan of such a small critter to try to skin and eat... but any excuse to get out of the house works for me :D

308BLR 05-11-2007 01:43 PM

Just remember, the smaller the better! For skinning and eating, that is. I could really go for some biscuits and squirrel gravy now.

Valaris99 05-12-2007 06:31 PM

Really? I didn't know that. Smaller the better...(making mental note) the larger squirrels just have more fat or just not as tender meat?

308BLR 05-12-2007 08:16 PM

Well, in my experience, the bigger ones are just older. And older means tougher. The young ones are more tender, but not quite as much meat. Of course, there's not much meat on a big squirrel anyways. I always shoot the small ones.

Valaris99 05-16-2007 05:58 PM

well i thinks Davs2601 and I are going to go out monday if the weather permits and give it a go. I still need to pick up a better choke and some non-turkey loads. Of course I just had my wisdom teeth pulled today and feel like crap. but thinking by monday should be doing ok.

Zackman_06 05-16-2007 09:17 PM

Here in Tennessee we have a spring squirrel season that starts May 12 and runs through the end of June...and then the season picks back up in late Augest and runs through the end of Febuary.

falcon 05-17-2007 07:11 AM

Will get out soon and do some serious squirrel hunting. Squirrel huntingsometimes givesme the opportunity to stick a .22 Hornet bullet into the ear of a pig.

davs2601 05-17-2007 04:33 PM

Hey I think the old lady is going shopping on saturday if you want to go out for some squirrels