HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Oklahoma turkey hunters... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/187659-oklahoma-turkey-hunters.html)

Buckmasterflex 04-09-2007 11:36 AM

Oklahoma turkey hunters...

Hey anyone from Oklahoma doing any good this season?? I got my 1st turkey ever opening morning, Jake 5in beard, But ever since then they haven't been talking much..

davs2601 04-09-2007 02:01 PM

RE: Oklahoma turkey hunters...

They were gobbling thier heads off before the season. Now I can get them to respond at all. Im hunting public land soIfugureits parthunting pressure and this crappy weather. I just came in from being out since 630. I saw 1 hen when I was driving in and that was it all day long. Im headed back out tomorrow morning so maybe ill have better luck

Buckmasterflex 04-11-2007 11:13 PM

Hey guys I was able to kill my 2nd bird of the season today, Me and a buddy had been set up this morning with a decoy calling and we had 4 come in but we knew there was bigger so we both passed on them and then later today we ended up putting a stalk on a group of 10 gobblers.. We spotted them and belly crawled through a 2ft tall wheat field and then cut down to the creek and finally got to them, My buddy took the 1st shot a 28 yards and dropped him then handed me my gun back and I shot mine at 38 yards dropped him to.. I will try to post pictures..
Mine has 10 1/4 inch beard and 1 in spurs..
His has 11 inch beard and 1 1/4 in spurs..
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/buckmasterflex/Turkey035.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/buckmasterflex/Turkey051.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/buckmasterflex/Turkey033.jpg

davs2601 04-12-2007 08:30 AM

Congrats on two great birds

Buckmasterflex 04-15-2007 01:11 AM

I took a couple buddys out this morning and called them in 2 jakes and 2 toms and they put the smack down on the toms.. Then me and one of them guys went out to my other farm and did some scouting for tomorrow morning and we saw 3 very bidmature Toms, and we are gonna get set up on them 1st thing..

davs2601 04-16-2007 07:33 PM

Im headed back out tomorrow morning as well. I got married this weekend so I have had to put hunting on the back burner for a few days

buck-i 04-16-2007 08:55 PM

this year stinks.hunting on lexington public land it is quiet not much gobbling or shots sounding off.
dav2601 you hunting lexington.im going tommorrow and the rest of the week hope it gets noisey.

davs2601 04-17-2007 09:45 PM

I was out there today (17th). Only saw one hen on the road, You didnt happen to be out there with an owl locator and a gobbler call did you. I was set up and thought I was going to get some action, but I believe it turned out to be someone with locator calls. I was up on the north east side of the property.

We did see a big ole gobbler with a few hens 100 yards north of where lexington ends. just across slaughterville road. They knwo where they are safe and where they are not.

Did you have any action at lexington

USFWC 04-18-2007 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: davs2601

Im headed back out tomorrow morning as well. I got married this weekend so I have had to put hunting on the back burner for a few days
...just for afew days though...can't let them dern women git in the way :D

...j/k...congrats!

davs2601 04-18-2007 02:47 PM

thanks, she is awesome. she lets me go hunting when ever I want. If I could only get her to go with me

buck-i 04-18-2007 06:31 PM

no owl call here, i hunt mainly the street before the rifle range on theeast side of the road.go down about 1 mile east then turn south at the stop sign.or the road at the rifle range turn east and go to one of the fields off the road.
drive a 94 camaro or 2001 durango.i had job interview to go to on the 17th and 18th and 1 on the 19th im missing not being out there.

davs2601 04-18-2007 07:00 PM

I didnt even realize that was part of Lexington over there. Have you had any luck on that side. I saw a nice tom with about a 6" beard. Of course he was in the field to the north of the property. I may make a road trip to some other public land in the next few weeks

davs2601 04-18-2007 07:30 PM

Do you just park on the side of the street over on that side or are there pull offs to park in

buck-i 04-19-2007 09:22 PM

a couple of pull offs on the road across from the gun range but usually just pull to the side of the road,the road before the gun range its mainly pull to the side.
i'm thinking about going to hickory creek, hunt in the morning and sand bass fish if nothing is happening.

davs2601 04-20-2007 03:25 PM

I went out this morning east of the gun range. I didnt have any luck locating a bird. Im thinking about driving to another public spot as well. I think that Im wasting my time out at Lexington. How is it at Hickory Creek?

buck-i 04-21-2007 10:45 PM

my brother shot one on the 19th we were along the prison fence we had two come in to our decoys, i was to far away to shoot.
we went back today and heard one gobbing but it was far away, it took a long time to call it in but we had a hunter walk between us and the bird, never got to see or hear the bird again.
we couldn't understand why he moved between us like he did then leave after about 5 minutes.he had to hear me calling.

Big Country 04-28-2007 03:34 PM

We just got back from a Rio hunt in northwest Oklahoma. Had a GREAT time, and we saw more mature birds than you can shake a stick at......

Can`t wait for next year to go back.;)

isatarak 04-29-2007 09:22 PM

I had some good luck. About 10 days ago I was checking wells and came by my hunting property about 12:30. I usually circle in through the property just for a look. I got to an opening where I usually plant food plots and there is a large elm. A big tom was around that tree and I just kept driving through and went home and got the other pickup and my hunting stuff and went back. I sneaked in from the east side from around a big hill and spotted the tom again under the elm and he was watching a hen. I set a hen decoy out in the clearing I was sneaking through and I sneaked up as far as I could. That left me about 60 yards from the tom. Not nearly close enough for a modified choke 12 gauge. I kept watching and the tom would fan and strut a little and then just lay on the ground and the hen just kept walking around feeding. Finally the tom came toward me a little into the disked ground. I decided to hit the box call and he answered me. In a little bit the hen started making the same sound I did. I just stayed quiet, thinking patience was the thing. In a couple of minutes the hen actually came toward me and got within 10 feet of me. I was against some bushes, but just crouched down in the open, with full camo on, of course. She acted like she thought I was something, but couldn't figure out what it was. Then I think she saw the decoy, she started doing the chop, chop, chop, but didn't seemed too alarmed. Then she worked her way into the brush across from me about 30 feet. That got me excited, because I didn't have to worry about her now, and the tom would surely follow. Sure enough, in a couple of minutes I could see the tom's head coming. He had to cross a pasture road and come up a small rise. When he got to 20 yards, I fired. He started trotting away to theleft and I jumped up and shot again and he was obviously hit but tried to fly. He got off the ground a couple of feet and I let him have it again. This time he was down for good.

He weighed 22-9, had a 9 3/4" beard, and had 1 9/16 and 1 11/16 spurs.

Last Saturday, the 21st I killed a 14# jake.

Here's some pics of the big boy.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jmarkm6/DSCN0486.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jmarkm6/DSCN0472.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jmarkm6/DSCN0490.jpg

Buckmasterflex 04-30-2007 12:48 PM

Congrats on a nice bird isatarak...

buck-i 05-01-2007 03:30 PM

dav2601 if you go out to lexington anymore you might want to go inside the reserve,stay to the right all the way back to where you have to turn left the right is a dirt path. should be a big fieldat the cable gate.
walkacross the cable follow that road back to a fence should see a pond.
go to the left to the top of hill,been hearing some over the fence they came close to us but were taken away by a hen.
brother got one on the 19th.
that land over the fence is state prison land.i might go tommorrow if not the rest of the week.

rsbcon 05-01-2007 09:00 PM

Big Country did you hunt public land? I hunted in west OK this year and had a little sucess. I'm lookin for something closer to MO.I would like to find some private land with a small trespass fee. If anyone could help I would apprecate it.

davs2601 05-02-2007 06:26 AM

Thanks for the info. Sorry I didnt respond sooner. Ive been tied up with jury duty for a few weeks now so Ive had to cut my turkey season short. We had set up down that way right along the fence, but we didnt have any luck. Congrats to your brother! We went out to Black Kettle on sunday. There are great toms everywhere. If there is anyone on here that is birdless for the season head out that way. You wont be dissapointed. We could have took a great bird, but we were trying to get a double, but the other bird would never come in close enough. Next year that is where I will be hunting

okgobbler 05-02-2007 08:35 AM

I bagged 1 in SW OK on private land. 9 1/4" beard, 7/8" spurs, 18 lbs. Average bird for the area. I took a friend the following weekend and he got 2 jakes. It has been tough hunting with all the changing weather. Good Luck and watch for the rattlers.

davs2601 05-02-2007 04:22 PM

Speaking of snakes. I almost had a bull snake climb into my lap while I was working 2 toms. He got about 3 feet from getting into my lap before I noticed him. I could have swore I scarred off the birds when I screamed like a girl, but thankfully they didnt hear me. Although I did have to leave my calls under that tree for a few hours because the snake climbed up in it and wouldnt leave

Valaris99 05-09-2007 11:52 PM

Well this is only like my second post on the forums. Davs2601 finally got me to join. I can vouch for the snake in his lap at black kettle. He was sitting beside me. Gave us a pretty good laugh after we picked up our hearts and put them back in our chest. Seeing as this was the first time I have ever tried turkey hunting we had a blast learning this season. Yep we did get too greedy and try for a double and lost em both..but it won't happen again that is for sure.

MC Bowhunter 05-10-2007 02:59 PM

I got 2 nice toms in Southeast Oklahoma. It was a tough season though.

Darrall

Valaris99 05-12-2007 06:33 PM

Hmm.. haven't been down in the SE part of the state yet. Did you hunt on public land? and gratz on the 2 toms.

MC Bowhunter 05-14-2007 02:14 PM

This was the first year I hunted private land down there. Usually we hunt public land that's just as good.

Darrall