Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!) >

VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 AM

Default RE: VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

this all sounds great and all but its still a survey and nothing more, from what ive heard from local bioligists and a friend from the vdgif it doesnt look like we are going to be any closer to sunday hunting. its always gonna be a strong debate either way and i myself am all for it but as nice as all this is i dont think its in our imediate future by no means
Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

I'll tell you from first hand experience. I lived out west for a few years and out there every state that I hunted in had Sunday hunting and it affected absolutely nothing out there, one thing though, western states don't use dogs for the most part so the deer aren't all shook up from the dogs on Sundays like they are here. I would agree with not dropping dogs on Sunday.

The way I look atit is that VA is so conservative (by no means am I a liberal)that the lobbyists/legislature are/is concerned about people not attending Church on Sunday (so much for separation of church and state)....This is not only my opinion but the opinion of some low level legislaterswho have heard similar statements come from the some higher ups. All in all though if you've been going to go to church on Sunday for years, you're not going to stop just because of Sunday hunting. Now, if you haven't been attending church regularly over the years, Sunday hunting would be agood thingfor you except it doesn't appear that way in the eyes of the people who attend church on Sunday because we are, for a lack of better terms, "sinning". Seriously I had a long talk with a few guys the other day who work at the State Capitol and this is what they told me.

One more thing they said, and it has to do with money,........they said as you know hunting falls in during the Holidays........ think of all the money businesses would lose from men being out in the woods the whole weekendinstead of beingin the mall spending money for Christmas presents. So, once again there is always the economic factor. I could not believe what I was hearing on this one.

Personally,I think that it would give Blue Collar workers and the likea chance to take their sons/daughters out in the woods an extra day during the weekend. This is one more day to spend time in the woods with the kids, which is better than sitting in front of the tube,during the weekend because he can't afford to take days off (because overtime is good money)during the week cause he's gotta put food on the table and his only 2 days off are Saturday and Sunday. Look at it fromthat perspective......from a family man standpoint. And the biologists well........................... it hasn't affected herds in any of the western states. I seriously do not think an extra 8-10 days added onto the hunting season will affect anything, even though it is an extra day of hunting on the weekend.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup... I agree. I have also heard stuff {no, I'm not bashing religion, God forbid....}, but like, Virginia will always have a serious battle with trying to allow Sunday hunting. I will give you two reason why:

Pat Robertson
Jerry Falwell

Both of those guys and their ministries have major, major, major, $$$$$$$$$$$, probably more then all of us combined. Let's face it, politicians love the power of money and money talks, as the saying goes. [&o]

But then again, I have also heard that this particular year, the Sunday hunting issue exploded and is bigger, better, and more supportive, than it has ever been since 1870!!!! Thank you everyone for helping supportlifting the ban!!!

Butch A.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM

hey they took religion out of schools they should take it out of hunting as well. no one should hold the right to push religion on anyone including hunters, i can go to church and be in stand by noon so whats the problem? id love to see it passed but im not gonna get excited by it cause it still lookslike a hard battle ahead over it, but hell i say we need to vote butch in as governor lol good work with the info butch
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

SB 387 Deer hunting; changes in provisions.
Kenneth W. Stolle | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles

another bill?Log inLIS Home- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bills & ResolutionsMembersCommitteesMeetingsCalendarsCommu nicationsMinutesStatisticsLobbyist-in-a-Box

[hr]
Summary as introduced:
Deer hunting on Sunday. Allows hunting on the first Sunday of early archery deer season, early muzzleloader deer season, and general firearms deer season.

Full text:
01/11/06 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/11/06 060988820 (impact statement)
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's good to know Pearl Jam, because....

I JUST GOT WORD THAT BOTH HB1639 and HB2303 JUST DIED A QUICK DEATH IN THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY A FEW MOMENTS AGO.... [:@]

Butch A.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I am totally against hunting on Sundays. Think about it, the good lord created Sundays for a day of rest and that means the wildlife also. If a person can't get enough hunting in during the other 6 days of the week I am SORRY.

Don't get me wrong I am an avid bow, muzzleloader and rifle hunter and love the outdoors. I just think we as hunters should re-evaluate ourselves, because it not just about killing. If the VDGIF want more deer harvested each year then they should provide more tags.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: russ4411

I am totally against hunting on Sundays. Think about it, the good lord created Sundays for a day of rest and that means the wildlife also. If a person can't get enough hunting in during the other 6 days of the week I am SORRY.
So, if Sunday's are "a day of rest", does this mean we shouldn't be fishing either? Sorry, but this entire issue flat out combining church and state. It's fine if you are totally against it, all I ask is for the choice.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I agree we all should have the choice. I am a very avid bass fisherman, and have competed on the Citgo Bassmaster Trail. I say that fishing is a little different, the fish are let go and have another chance to bite again. Not so with deer hunting. I just firmly believe that out of the 6 days a person can hunt, there is a lot of pressure put on the deer. They need the day of rest also.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

russ4411 - I agree, great post

Quick Reply: VA Hunters..... (hot off the press - Sunday hunting!!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.