Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 NC/VA Grouse and Woodcock. >

NC/VA Grouse and Woodcock.

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

NC/VA Grouse and Woodcock.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default NC/VA Grouse and Woodcock.

Was wondering if any one has encountered any Grouse or Woodcock in the ramblings? What part of the states have you been in? [/align][/align]Thanks[/align][/align]Casey[/align]
Old 01-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Default RE: NC/VA Grouse and Woodcock.

There are very few grouse left here in VA. Dwindling habitat, increased predation, and older growth forests have taken there toll in much of the state. My dad grouse hunted for 20 years. This past year he gave away his dog and quit. We used to hunt the old strip mines in the area, but they have been re-stripped or converted into gas well sites. Even the private land hnting has really suffered. Most of the good cover is gone and so are the grouse. We hunted most all of the southwestern part of the state. Ten years ago we could hunt eight hours and average 10 or moreflushes. In the past five years that average fell to four or lessflushes. It just isn't worth walking five plus miles for those numbers of flushes.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 AM

All is not lost with the Grouse, but focus your efforts on the West Side of the Blue Ridge. You can get information from the game departments web site about groups working to expand on the Grouse Populations and there are even Grouse areas established. Woodcocks aremigratory if you find some areas in creek bottoms that have been cleared by timber companys may be good. Years ago I was walking some fresh cut over trying to jump deer and ended up jumping Woodcock after another . I drove to the store bought a box of7 1/2shot and and gave up on the deer. That was around Appomatox, I think that State Forest around Holliday lake holds alot at times.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Dog

All is not lost with the Grouse, but focus your efforts on the West Side of the Blue Ridge. You can get information from the game departments web site about groups working to expand on the Grouse Populations and there are even Grouse areas established. Woodcocks aremigratory if you find some areas in creek bottoms that have been cleared by timber companys may be good. Years ago I was walking some fresh cut over trying to jump deer and ended up jumping Woodcock after another . I drove to the store bought a box of7 1/2shot and and gave up on the deer. That was around Appomatox, I think that State Forest around Holliday lake holds alot at times.
Rebel hit the nail on the head. We grouse hunt in Rockingham and Augusta co. in the national forest and have decent success. Now, we're not flushing tons, but if a couple of us go out, we'll shoot half doz. birds in the a.m. Only seena couplewoodcock this year andthey were on a farm in Faquier where I hunt, real wet lowlying swampy areas are what they like.