Antler Restrictions in Virginia >

Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Antler Restrictions in Virginia

ORIGINAL: Sureisaniceskimask

I love the idea of antler restrictions. It's stupid when people shoot spikes just for the kill. Stupid people shooting dog sized deer piss me off... [:@]
hey my first deer was a fawn =/

Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

I'm on the fence with this issue. I'm a hunter not a trophy hunter. I'm looking to put meat in the freezer. The club I belong to has some unwritten rules concerning these issues. But I belive it should be the decision of the hunter. I pass on the deer I don't want to shoot and I'm very please with each and every deer I harvest for tablefare.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

As I looked through the photos on the Virginia kill thread, I began to ponder "what beautiful bucks wewould becapable of producing if hunters did not kill off the small bucks". Antler restrictions have been successful in other states, so why not here? We have very liberal antlerless limits for those who are interested in meat or numbers, so why not increase the odds for those who are interested in harvesting a real trophy? I believe thatminimum antler size to protect our young bucksis an idea whose time has come for Virginia.
keyshunter,

I see you are from Martinsville. Have you hunted Fairystone Farms? In case youare not aware it has Antler Restrictions. Must be 4 points on one side.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i haven't read every post so i dunno if this has been brought up or not. AR is a good thing to a certain point BUT can also be bad. if you have a buck(s) in the area or on your property with bad genes and they never exceed the legal antler restrictions so they can be harvested, then you will have them breeding does and spreading the bad genes. these bucks need to be identified and taken out of the herd to maximize QDM.
Very good point! Antler restrictions alone are not the answer, although they could help.Antler restrictionswill not protect, for example,a 2 year old 8 point buck that has good genes. These bucks will be killed before they have the chance to reach their full potential. IMO VA's main problem in many areas is simply too many does.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Very good point! Antler restrictions alone are not the answer, although they could help.Antler restrictionswill not protect, for example,a 2 year old 8 point buck that has good genes. These bucks will be killed before they have the chance to reach their full potential. IMO VA's main problem in many areas is simply too many does.
Exactly! Along with hunters whodo not practice selfrestraint by failing to passonthe first buck they see.Do not confuse my post with hunters who are younger and have not harvested many or no deer at all, however, if you've killed your share of basket racks......I can speak with relative certainty that if you were to pass on the first buck you see, you may be surprised with what shows up later.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Well at this point, you've seen every thing we've taken off our farm big buckwise. We haven't taken any 4,5,6 pts except one that was injured. unfortunatly we've only taken 3 does but have took 5BB. I wish and I'm more guilty than anyone that we would have not killed the BB's
Old 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CAPT BRAD

Well at this point, you've seen every thing we've taken off our farm big buckwise. We haven't taken any 4,5,6 pts except one that was injured. unfortunatly we've only taken 3 does but have took 5BB. I wish and I'm more guilty than anyone that we would have not killed the BB's
BRAD,

I'm sure you guys are doing the right thing on the farm in Madison Co. I just wish more people would have that type of self discipline in the woods. You still got plenty of time to whack some does. Even if you don't, I would say you guys are practicing sound management techniques whether you take a few more does or not. Good luck with the rest of your year brother! Hopefully I can join ya'll next year.

VA
Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 PM

I have been hunting in VA for almost 35 years, and in many different areas both public and private. IMHO nothing would help VA deer hunting more than to have an AR rule similar to PA (buck must have at least 3 0r 4 points on one side). Sure an occasional deer may never be more than a 4 or 6 point or whatever, but saving all those typical 1.5 year old spike or forky bucks would be worth it if you ask me. Of course some "hunters" (poachers)would ignore any such restriction, but that is no reason to just give into them and do nothing about the problem.
A rule that only imposes AR on the second or third buck is not enough. The average hunter today is lucky to kill even one antlered buck a year, meaning thata rule allowing the first antlered buck to be any sizedoes little to reduce the amount of pressure on those young bucks.
Happy hunting!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

jackw

Of course some "hunters" (poachers)would ignore any such restriction, but that is no reason to just give into them and do nothing about the problem.
Antler restrictions supplemented withSEVERE REPERCUSSIONSforROAD HUNTERSand POACHERS. Just ask the 2 guyswe busted this past Saturday for poaching and road hunting on our property...... luckily our Club is LE heavy. Nothing sets me off more than a f@#!ing Poacher or a road hunter, especially when they told us they had 3000 acres 5 miles down the road they could hunt "legally"........yeah, they actually said "legally" which means they knew exactlywhat they were doing, especially when the only way in had a HUGE posted sign on the gate they had to open and drive through prior to putting their dogs out on our property.Makes you think doesn't it. Needless to say...... we're gonna fry those guys. Man, I'm truly sorry for the rant, but, "Road Hunting" is not hunting in my book, and all it does is spook the hell out of the deer on our property.

VA

Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 AM

We, my neighbors and I, have been practicing QDM on our properties for a few years and have seen the results. We are passing on all small eight pointers and smaller deer. The exception being a big-bodieddeer that looks to be older (2.5+)and having an inferior rack. We have not seen a buck that fits this description in the past five years.

I am in favor of AR's if they are done right. Meaning don't let eveyone kill all of the does like in PA. I'm in the Southwestern Mountains and we don't have the overpopulation of deer like the eastern part of the state. I do believe that allowing one buck of your choice and then placing an AR on subsequent deer would work better than nothing.

I do see a problem with AR's east of the Blue Ridge where dogs are used. Because, if a deer is being chased by a dog you are not going to have the opportunity to count anything! Therefore, the only way AR's could work is by not allowing the use of dogs, and I really don't think they will outlaw the use of dogs in eastern VA. So, that is just another point in the argument of AR's. Something to chew on!

Quick Reply: Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.