HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Va Rut (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/162566-va-rut.html)

UFunny2 10-31-2006 05:51 AM

Va Rut

Arrowed a nice 6 pt yesterday around 2:30 pm. His neck was swollen and man did he stink! Also, he had his nose up the rear end of a doe and he kept making a wheezing noise at her. Not a snort or grunt...never heard that before. He was fighting recently because about two inches of one of his mainbeams was broke off and an eyeguard was knicked pretty good. Other than his weight, his appearance was that of a post rut buck.

This was near Tappahannock. Sorry, no pics. I took one with my celphone but havent figured out how to get it on my PC.

Allen Denton 10-31-2006 08:13 AM

RE: Va Rut

Yeah, the other Sat. I saw a buck chasing a doe really hard. He was nose to the ground and on her path, they got out of sight before I could see any action or reaction. My buddy has seen bucks fighting, his words were not just sparing either. I think the cold weather we had 3 weeks ago kicked them up a notch, and we will see what it does for the remainder of bow season.

BlueRidgeRetrievers 11-02-2006 02:55 PM

I have a feeling the cold front that's getting ready to hit is going to knock it up a notch... I caught an 8 or 10 behind the house in a "compromising position" with a doe this AM just before dawn...

It's on boys!

UFunny2 11-02-2006 05:47 PM

Hunted the Tappahannock property again this evening. Saw 19 does and 2 bucks. One buck was chasing nose down, full bore 2 does across the bean field, he looked to be a four pt. The other was waaaaayyyy on the other side of the field, but I could tell his rack was tall. He was walking the field edge and not looking for anything particular. Most of the does still had their youngins with them.

I agree with BlueRidge, this cold front is gonna get things rollin, next week will be a great time to be in the woods!

VA5326 11-07-2006 11:17 AM

I've been seeing bucks moving behind does but not full out chasing them yet. I've also seen does still with their fawns so I really don't know. I've seen an increase in scrapes and rubs but no full on rutting activity. I hunted everyday all dayfromWednesday of last week to yesterday afternoon with the exception of, as you know, Sunday. I would expect the end ofthis week and next week to more than likely be the full on rut.......hopefully.

Well we did have a goodhunt Wednesday through Yesterday in Fluvanna. I took a 125 pound9 pt with the bowThurday evening. Friday one of my buddies missed a Monster. Saturday wetook 3 mature does and my best friendtook a nice 115 pound8 pt.... all were taken with black powder rifles.Yesterday morningI took a 3-4 year old 110 pound doe withthe black powder rifle.Shesnorted about ten timesandmade the nicebuck (paralelling her)I was interested in do a 180 before he was inrange while she just stood there.She did not want to give upin the creek I found her in about 40 yds from my tree stand but she went peacefully. When I skinned her yesterdayshe still had plenty of milk in her. I don't know if that's any indicator, but, I just don't think the rut is exactly in full swing as of yet. Pictures will be posted later today.

VA