Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Green Swamp WMA (Florida) >

Green Swamp WMA (Florida)

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Green Swamp WMA (Florida)

Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Green Swamp WMA (Florida)

Hi all, posted this over at another forum but didn't get much help. So, hope someone can answer a few questions regarding the Green Swamp WMA (just north of Lakeland)....

I have been hunting Three Lakes WMA for the past 5yrs or so, but because my hunting buddies joined leases in N. Fl., I will be hunting alone at Green Swamp WMA for Archery this year and had a couple of questions for those who have been there...

Basically, I just want an overview of the camp area. At 3-lakes, camper-trailers are abound along with the constant hum of generators. So, I would like to bring the same camp-setup to Green Swamp WMA and want to know if it's similar as 3 Lakes....

1. Campers & generators --- are they allowed? I was a little concerned because I noticed this property is owned or partly owned by the SWFWMD and unsure whether or not they had specific rules/regs about camp sites.

Will other people have similar setup (use of generators to run a camper)? I have an old 14ft camper -- I call it "The Bubble", just a 1960 silver bubble with 2 bunks and a table for dinner (take out the window and insert small a/c unit for a nightly "freeze"

2. WMA maps show the campsite entrance is off hwy 471 in the Compressco area (on the north side of the main grade). Is this the correct location?I found anothermap that differed from theFWC's anddid not show the same location forthe camp area. Also--are signs posted off of hwy 471?

Any other comments regarding experiences you have had there are greatly appreciated!!!!

Take Care,

james

Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Green Swamp WMA (Florida)

ORIGINAL: jamesfreddyc

Hi all, posted this over at another forum but didn't get much help. So, hope someone can answer a few questions regarding the Green Swamp WMA (just north of Lakeland)....

I have been hunting Three Lakes WMA for the past 5yrs or so
James, I also hunted Three Lakes for 5-6yrs, but just hog hunted.

Basically, I just want an overview of the camp area. At 3-lakes, camper-trailers are abound along with the constant hum of generators. So, I would like to bring the same camp-setup to Green Swamp WMA and want to know if it's similar as 3 Lakes....
I live 35mins from Green Swamp and only stayed in their camp ground one time. Came home everyday and returned every morning. Their camp ground was over crowded and their port-a-poties were filthy.

1. Campers & generators --- are they allowed? I was a little concerned because I noticed this property is owned or partly owned by the SWFWMD and unsure whether or not they had specific rules/regs about camp sites.
They have probably changed since I have been there!

Will other people have similar setup (use of generators to run a camper)? I have an old 14ft camper -- I call it "The Bubble", just a 1960 silver bubble with 2 bunks and a table for dinner (take out the window and insert small a/c unit for a nightly "freeze"
All I remember seeing was a couple of them, like I mentioned, very crowded!

2. WMA maps show the campsite entrance is off hwy 471 in the Compressco area (on the north side of the main grade). Is this the correct location?I found anothermap that differed from theFWC's anddid not show the same location forthe camp area. Also--are signs posted off of hwy 471?
Yes that's correct. There is also another entrance off Hwy 98 and another camp ground, but I have never camped there!
Any other comments regarding experiences you have had there are greatly appreciated!!!!
Check out Richloom which is alot better. It's right next to Green Swamp and was owned by FL Forestry.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks for your comments -- I appreciate it!

Just to clarify --- did you notice otherpeople running generators???

On the "crowds"... yeah, 3-lakes is similar. It's tough to get a decent spot if you are late to setup camp. And the porta-potties were gross too (better to just make a trip to the woods ;-)....

Took a look at Richloam... Not that much farther north of Green Swamp and no daily permits are required (750 issued each day at GS). However, the camping rule is that the only place you can camp during Archery is at "Pess Place" -- so not real sure how that would work out (it may be crowded too if they only have one camp open!!!).

Anyway -- thanks again.

Take Care,

james
Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Spike

I've never stayed at Green Swamp during archery, but during gun season, there are lots of generators (and bonfires, radios, whooping/hollerin'). On Friday evenings, it's like redneck woodstock. It's really quite a sight.

Rebel, I have never been to Richloam, but was thinking I would try it out this year. I see that you can run dogs there during gun. Do you find that to be a problem if you are still/stand hunting? My thought was to hunt in the southwest corner near the river, adjacent to Green Swamp West. Do you have any experience with that part of the place?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM

Thanks! That is exactly what I was wanting to know. I appreciate the feedback....

You know, as soon as Richloam was mentioned I went to TerraServer to check out some of the canopy/terrain. You and I think alike --- was looking in an area near the river...

Thanks again,

james
Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sea Monkey

Rebel, I have never been to Richloam, but was thinking I would try it out this year. I see that you can run dogs there during gun. Do you find that to be a problem if you are still/stand hunting? My thought was to hunt in the southwest corner near the river, adjacent to Green Swamp West. Do you have any experience with that part of the place?
Well, yousometimesget lucky when still hunting and dogs are chasing, cause deer are running all over the place, but I don't care for it!

When Ihunted Green Swamp, I always hunted theTriangle between Tanic Grade and Three Run up by the Green Swamp north fence between it and Richloom. Thedogsrunning in Richloom would chase the deer into that area of Green Swamp.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Spike

Thanks RH.

James,
Check out the Yahoo Maps beta site. They have better maps of Richloam. If you head up that way, I'd be interested to hear what you see. In case you don't know, some of the biggest deer in the state have been taken out of Green Swamp West. However, access is very limited, so I figured I might try something right next door. I am in a club near Chiefland this year, so if I make it out to Richloam, it won't be until further into the season.

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Check out the Yahoo Maps beta site.
I do like the color imagery with Yahoo, but the resolution is not as fine and doesn't allow you to zoom in a far. Also, you cannot do a right-click and "save as" to store the image on your computer. I use ArcView software to allow me to hookup a gps to mylaptopso I have a real-time navigation in my truck (check out the photo I attached).

The advantage of terraserver is that I can save the imagry and overlay my GPS track on top of it -- to do this, you need to have the image in the correct coordinate system and the imagery at terraserver gives you those coordinates with the image.

In case you don't know, some of the biggest deer in the state have been taken out of Green Swamp West. However, access is very limited, so I figured I might try something right next door.
I did read it somewhere on the Fl. Buck Registry at the FWC website. I think it scored 200 (James Stoval? was the hunter). I agree with you that focusing on areas in proximity to areas known to produce is probably a good idea....

Anyway -- thanks for the input!

Take Care,

j

Old 09-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Spike

That's pretty slick. Good luck out there this season.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:13 AM

Good luck to you as well! Thanks again for your input on Green Swamp,I feel much better about the camping situation. Now I just need to go thru my checklist to make sure everything is in order with the camper -- it's been tough to do anything (including fling'ing some arrows at the target) with the afternoon rain each day!

Take Care,

j

Quick Reply: Green Swamp WMA (Florida)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.