Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Hunting License question for Texans >

Hunting License question for Texans

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting License question for Texans

Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Hunting License question for Texans

I am moving to Texas in a couple of months, I have done a little research and found out that you have to be a resident for 6 months to get a resident license. And you are supposed to establish this with a dated voter registration card, vehicle registration, passport.

My question is where do you buy a license? Here you can buy them at Big5, Walmart etc... Once I recieve my Texas drivers license with a Texas address, is the pimply faced kid at Big5 or Academy gonna inspect all my paper work or just ask to see my drivers license?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting License question for Texans

same is anywere any sporting goods stores and ext. regardless of if they asj or not in the reg book saysif i not mistaking it says u must have a valid drivers liscenses or texas indentifcation. ive bouhgt my lisceances with out them asking for anything but my name b/c i guessalredy on file and when u do buy the super combo liscence its much cheaper that way all tags and liscensa hunting and fishing and stamps for like 70 bucks but dont hold me 2 the price hope that helps
Old 03-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if they check things over that much or not. Most of it is computerized, so the computer might catch it. You might go ahead and change your voter registration and/or driver's license, and in case somethingdoes comeup, you'll already be a couple of months down.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

By the way, welcome to TEXAS! It's a whole nother country. Larry
Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome and responses.

I did a little more research, turns out you don't even have to have a license to hunt ferel pigs on private property if they are depredating which means causing trouble and tearing sh*t up.

Not that I am trying to be unethical but I'd like to do some hog hunting over the summer and 300 bucks is a bit steep. I'll buy a 5 day license for my first deer trip for 45.00 and by the end of deer season I may be at resident status.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the hog rule is a recent change. TPWD used to require a license to shoot them, but now if they are committing depredations the landowner or his agent can shoot them without a license. I don't know that "agent" is defined in the manual anywhere, so becoming a landowner's agent may not be a very high hurdle to overcome.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 PM

AGENT:

1. One that acts or has the power or authority to act.

2. One empowered to act for or represent another.

"Hey Roger, need a hand killing some of these pigs that are tearing up your cow pasture?"

"Sure Mark, shoot all the pigs you want, they're really a painin my neck."

I'd say that makes me an AGENT.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is that in the TPWD regs?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM

Well, I used a bit of creative license. ButI think by definition if Roger says sure kill all the pigs you want, as the owner, hehas given me authority and power over the pigs depredating his land making me his agent.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know you probably have the right to hunt hogs without a license, but why risk an over zealous game warden.. Most of them in Texas are great guys, but I have met some that shouldn't be there.. why risk the hassle..After all,the money spend atthe TPWDcome back around in huntingand fishingopportunities for us in the longrun, plus you never know when you might want to shoot at something else... Even rabbits required a license in Texas. To me it's not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply: Hunting License question for Texans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.