HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   VA Hunting Situation? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/130080-va-hunting-situation.html)

NH306 01-23-2006 01:39 PM

VA Hunting Situation?

I was curious how the hunting in VA compares to NH. I can pretty much go out into the woods and hunt anywhere. I have been hearing a lot of talk about hunt clubs. I was wondering if this was true or if the land down there is pretty much easy access. Thanks for any info!

Criggster 01-23-2006 01:49 PM

RE: VA Hunting Situation?

It used to be that way here, but the times they are a changing! Most of the land is posted, and some of it belongs to hunt clubs. Unfortunately, the hunt clubs are becoming widespread. There is still a lot of public land here; most of it in the form of national forests and wildlife management areas. But, in my opinion they get the worst (and cheapest) land for public acess. Most of it is mountainous, rocky, poor soils, ful of laurel and rhododendron, etc.

There is a law here that states: you must have oral permission to hunt on unposted land (except the above mentioned), and written permission on posted land. My neighbor met a game warden during deer season, and was on his own property. The warden gave him a hard time about not having permission, and whether or not here was really the landowner!! He finally convinced him that he was!

AppalachianTracker 01-23-2006 06:45 PM

The Public Land in Virginia is hunted pretty hard, I will go a full season without seeing a shootable buck. Private land on the other hand can have access to some nice deer, but you always have to obey the wishes of the landowner if you want to come back next year.

ButchA 01-23-2006 07:18 PM

The biggest thing about hunting in VA versus NH, is you can't hunt on Sundays... [:@]

I agree with the others about public land hunting. It is really hunted hard, the worst of it is on Saturdays. Some wildlife management areas (WMA's) are okay, others are tolerable, and then others are downright scary with the amount of hunters per square mile! The state forests and national forests are the better option.

Private land is a hot commodity and hard to come by. But if you can get into a club, then you'll be a little better off than public land hunting.

whitewolf393 01-24-2006 01:04 PM

Gotta say I'm a bit disaffected with the public land here in VA. I just started back into the hunting thing this past season after a long hiatus, and I'm not encouraged so far! At least not with the WMAs here. If anywhere, I'll stick to the GW Forest areas.

coachsteve 01-24-2006 04:18 PM

I live in Roanoke and hunt only public for turkeys because you can cover alot more ground and find more birds. I have 2 small farms i can hunt and do sometimes for deer and smallgame, but most of my time in the woods hunting is on public land, National Forest. The areas I hunt are not crowded, I have never had a big problem with other hunters whereI hunt.Private is not easy to come-by, but it can be done around here.

whitewolf393 01-24-2006 04:20 PM

Planning on heading to the Dry River area of the GW Forest next weekend for the tail end of rabbit season. I do like the rabbit season here in VA, even though I don't have a dog. it's 4 months long! Turkey and deer are the two other overly abundant and good tasting species in the state. Can't say I much care for squirrel, though [:@]

brandon78 01-24-2006 08:22 PM

the national forest arent bad. I hunted in the Jefferson National Forest in Craig County this year and it wasnt bad. Seen 2 does and a 5 point. Southern Virginia isnt bad if you can get permission to hunt or join i club. I am in the Great Creek Hunt Club(Alberta, Brunswick Co.)and there are alot of deer down there. A guy in our club shot a really tall nice 8pt that got third in state and there were also a good amount of nice bucks taken this year. I got a 4pt. lol

whitewolf393 01-25-2006 08:18 AM

I'll continue to hit the Forest areas, but as far as a hunt club in Southern VA it's a bit far for me!

Legacy357 02-16-2006 09:25 AM

drive around aimlessly, look for deer, ask permission to hunt. get a lot of no's but do get a few yes's.....thats how i got my buck this year:D