HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Squirrel's effect on deer. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/122583-squirrels-effect-deer.html)

motor 11-30-2005 09:10 PM

RE: Squirrel's effect on deer.

Squirrels don't bother deer but the deer bother squirrels.

Rebel Hog 12-03-2005 06:05 AM

Squirrels sometime helps the hunter and sometimes it alerts the deer of danger!
Have you ever seen a squirrel on a tree trunk look at you and than look at the direction the deer is comming from?
The sounds that birds make sometimes is a warning to the deer. Study nature and you will harvest more game!;)

Digi 12-10-2005 08:02 PM

I have seen deer act real spooky when there are alot of tree rats in the leaves.

I agree with Rebel Hog about the birds too. I am convinced those D$%n crows are out to get me![8D]

[/align]

Okie807 12-10-2005 08:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, Tree climber, do you happen to know what the moon was doing that day? Maybe the lull and rush of activity coincided with moonrise?

Reefdonkey 12-11-2005 02:40 PM

Well, I was hunting the other day and the squirrel had a negative effect on my outing. There were a bunch of squirrels on the ground and all of the sudden here comes a fox trotting through. Well the squirrels head for the trees and start barking there furry little butts off. About this time I here two does (I assume) blow and run off before they could get into sight. This time of the year I am looking to take a doe for the freezer. Maybe I should blame it on the fox.

ranchand99 12-11-2005 04:11 PM

I have good luck when I am in a spot where I see squirrels.They don't bother the deer IMO.Usually when I see a flock of turkeys come through I know I'm gonna see a deer.Usually about 80% of the time.I listen for squirrels,and go to them,because they usually stay with the freshest food source,unless they are eating pine cones then it doesn't apply.:D

CamoCop 12-11-2005 11:04 PM

i agree with frizz on this one. i believe squirells can help and hurt your hunt. learning from my time in the stand, it seems wildlife "feed" off of each other. i have watched squirells "bark" at deer for eating "their" acorns on the ground and did not bother the deer.

on the other hand, if you have ever been busted by a squirell sitting in your treestand you know they will "bark" at you for what seems to be forever. i think deer know that if it's not them being barked at, that there's something wrong and will not come towards the "barking" squirell. just a thought...because i have never seen deer in my stand while a squirrel was barking at me.

i have seen deer while hunting thanks to the squirells "barking" at them and letting me know where the deer was. i would have never seen the deer if i wouldn't have turned around to see what the squirell was so pissed off about.

this is just my theory, so next time your in the woods hunting and you hear a squirell "barking" and you know he's not "barking" at you...keep your eye on that area. a big buck might just be walking in your area.

ranchand99 12-12-2005 08:11 PM

Alot of truth there camocop.I would like to share a story.I was Bowhunting in the river swamp,and looking around when I looked to my left there was a huge buck staring at me.He looked behind himself,and then looked at me.He did that about 3 times.Now I can't stand up,and my bow is too long to try,and shoot from a treestand sitting down.So I begin to pray.Please lord let him go to feeding..ya'll know how it is.Then he looked back at me,and slowly raised his foot.[:o]I said to myself no no no no no no please no..Stomp,he raised it again...no no no no no please don't do that.He stomped again.I got a sick feeling in my stomach.He blew,and turn to run off:(.He had gotten a few yards away when a squirrel in the tree started barking like crazy at him.He whirled around,and looked back at us.When the squirrel settled down he went about his business feeding.Never to come back in range of course[:@].I thought that would be an interesting story to go along with camocops post.

CamoCop 12-12-2005 09:04 PM

man that sucks ranch, did you ever get that buck on a later hunt? by the way, i know the prayer you were saying all to well...lmao

ranchand99 12-12-2005 09:11 PM

Nope,never saw that deer again.You know how it is down here.If you see them once it's usually the first,and last time you ever see them.;)We don't have big fields to glass,and pick,and choose our deer.Hehehe.