Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Arkansas Muzzleloaders deer count? >

Arkansas Muzzleloaders deer count?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Arkansas Muzzleloaders deer count?

Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Arkansas Muzzleloaders deer count?

Alright I didnt hunt last weekend cause it was way to hot. I went out yesterday afternoon and all day today. I must say we have NO shortage of deer!
Today I stopped counting ! If i had to put a number I would say between 75 and 100 deer!!!!!!!!!!
One Buck couldnt tell how good and two spikes the rest does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At dark I had a group of probably 20 hit one of food plots they just kept coming out. I don't have any idea how many were in the thicket. now some were seen on my atv .
Hey this morning i had 8 does come close enough to my stand i could have spit on them!!!!!! I needed a bow!!!

Anyone else see our out of whack doe population out and about??????
Old 10-24-2005, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Arkansas Muzzleloaders deer count?

I went both weekends....I saw ten on Saturday last weekend and zero deer this past weekend.....No bucks yet.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:15 AM

Man, It sounds like I need to load up my bow and come help you thin out the does some. I've been seeing a few more deer around this fall but still nothing like I was seeing 7-10 years ago.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:02 AM

Only got a chance to go out twice b/c of work, but all i've seen is one coyote. I had my crosshairs right on his ****** little head, but then he saw me and hauled into some thick stuff.

I'm hunting around Georgetown, 15 miles SE of Searcy. Where are yall hunting? Sorry, i'm just now getting back to the boards and dont know the AR guys yet.

Jake
Old 10-30-2005, 08:54 PM

grassypond I have had many that have volunteered this week. I have to be very selective on who i let "help" out I don't want my buck population going down . You know it would just happen that you put someone on a stand and they take a buck when you want does gone. I am going to take a few folks and well guide them you might say. I have a friend who needs the meat with two kids and a wife that isnt working. He's going to take three for me and I have a few others that I am thinking about.
I run a club with 2100 acres and have been having a hard time getting my members to take does. I have threatened a mandated doe kill with fines if they don't . it hasn't seemed to phase them . I thought for years it was nice to have weekend or saturday hunters cause i had the place the majority of the time but it is costing the herd.

Some people don't think about a club of 2100 acres can turn into a out of whack male to female paradise but it can!
I am hoping i see the doe kill increase but not counting on it. so i am planning to do the president thing and handle it!!!!!

Anyway if it don't pan out maybe i'll check you and your bow after christmas!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:30 AM

What part of the state is your hunting club located? We've been seeing mostly does at the two clubs I'm in but the buck/doe ratio near my house seems to be a littlebetter thanyears past.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:41 PM

Ouachita county. My population problem is more due to lack of doe kills.

I also hunt saline county and garland county and they seem to have a pretty good ratio. Both of these countys have some fine bucks and they move. The comparison of them and southern arkansas bucks is not fair. The bucks in central arkansas seem to be much heavier and usually sport far superior racks.
Now south ar has some good bucks but I have hunted it all my life and not seen some like i am seeing in central ar. I might contribute it to less hunting pressure??

folks all seem to go south to just kill a deer but this year i am going to devote a little more time in central arkansas.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 AM

Man sounds like you've got the place. I would Loooooove to take care of some does. Them does are good eatin, you can't eat those horns.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:09 AM

South Arkansas Rebel, sounds like you have members like we do..........old school way of thinking, don't shoot the does. What they don't understand is overpopulation (depleteing food sources), lack of competition for the bucks (more does than they can service, they aint walking around looking for more), and breeding season being extended because of all the does not being bred the first or second time they come into estrus only makes things worse. Are ya'll in the AG&F DMAP program? They provide some very usefull information about your herd after a few years of collecting the data for them. We've been doing it for 5 years and it has helped us as far as getting more guys to shoot does, and letting the smaller bucks walk. We have seen some larger racks come in the past couple of years due tothe "education" DMAP has provided along with I'm sure the instated three point rule.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Turkey63

South Arkansas Rebel, sounds like you have members like we do..........old school way of thinking, don't shoot the does. What they don't understand is overpopulation (depleteing food sources), lack of competition for the bucks (more does than they can service, they aint walking around looking for more), and breeding season being extended because of all the does not being bred the first or second time they come into estrus only makes things worse. Are ya'll in the AG&F DMAP program? They provide some very usefull information about your herd after a few years of collecting the data for them. We've been doing it for 5 years and it has helped us as far as getting more guys to shoot does, and letting the smaller bucks walk. We have seen some larger racks come in the past couple of years due tothe "education" DMAP has provided along with I'm sure the instated three point rule.
Turkey63 You should work for the AG&F as a biologist you just stated more than they will ever know!

I have two game warden friends that have encouraged me to get into the DMAP . At this time I just don't think I would get the participation from my current membership that is needed. I may discuss it this weekend some more and get a feel. If not .....well lets say it may not pretty.
I saw loads of deer last weekend a few good bucks and one good one . he is still servicing but maybe not by the end of the week.
I am off for 10 days and gonna hit it hard.
Maybe i can get back with you soon and update. good luck with your hunting .