Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 4 or 5 stand locations need help choosing which one for SAT? >

4 or 5 stand locations need help choosing which one for SAT?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

4 or 5 stand locations need help choosing which one for SAT?

Old 10-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Spike

Default 4 or 5 stand locations need help choosing which one for SAT?

Anyone with recent success? I am going back out tomorrow in the mountians. I went and scouted last Sunday and noticed noscrapes... but I did see a couple of areas where it looks like a wrestling ring. Grounds all tore up and several different tracks all dug in deep impressions. No new rubs but it looks like I found 2 bedding areas and a connector and a couple of old rubs.. I think I will try and catch them coming from a field about 3/4 of a mile away. The will be coming up hill so hopefully the geothermals will help regulate the wind for me Put me up wind of em!
My Topo showsalarge funnel... from the beds, a creek runsdownthe mountain to the field. BTW.. there areOAksthe whole way down and around the bedsto the field.
What should I do? Should I sit on the old rubs that are at the entrance to the beds? Sit in between the beds? Or get farther down in between the fields and the beds? It might rain on sat so I might sit closer to the beds just incase the weather forces them to not venture out as far.
What do you think? I will be hunting with a buddy how would you ambush em for the best results? The beds sit high on the mountian and there is a natural funnel with fingers and dry creek beds.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:07 AM

Default RE: 4 or 5 stand locations need help choosing which one for SAT?

If it were me, I would sit between the beds and the field. That way you should catch them coming in from feeding in the morning, but if they get by you before you're in stand, you'll almost definitely catch them in the afternoon. If it's raining, make sure to stay on stand through the middle of the day as they may not bed down and feed instead. Sitting in between the beds probably isn't a good idea...you run the risk of having your scent blown into either one and if you blow one of them you might blow the other at the same time. I don't know what other food sources the deer have in your area, but oaks are a pretty sure bet most of the time. I'd set up somewhere in those.