HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Atlanta, GA area outdoor rifle ranges (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/116702-atlanta-ga-area-outdoor-rifle-ranges.html)

distguitar 10-13-2005 07:39 PM

Atlanta, GA area outdoor rifle ranges

Hey guys!
I'm curious about any public outdoor shooting ranges around Atlanta where I can try out my rifles. I know there are quite a few private clubs that might let me do a trial, but any place in particular will you recommend to me? I wanted to hear somebody's personal opinion.

Thanks!

Yivin 10-14-2005 09:37 AM

RE: Atlanta, GA area outdoor rifle ranges

Myself, i shoot over the summer at my hunting camp. But there are a few guys at work that go to a Dekalb county out off I-20 that is run by police they say is pretty good and also one a little up north called Charles Evans Wild Life Managment thats supposedbe good...There's a indoor one at the farmers market over by the airport but they say that one is kinda so so. Thats about all I know about them.You can go online to see a list of them. there are a few around but never been to them..Hope this helps...

distguitar 10-15-2005 09:54 PM

Thanks!
I can't seem to find any information on the Charles Evans WMA... Doesn't come up in google. But I will keep on looking!

Coastie 10-16-2005 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: distguitar

Thanks!
I can't seem to find any information on the Charles Evans WMA... Doesn't come up in google. But I will keep on looking!
There is no Charles Evans WMA. Look for the Clybel WMA/Charlie Elliott
Wildlife Center. There are also ranges at: Beaverdam, Big Hammock, Big Lazer Creek, Bullard Creek, Cohutta, Dixon Memorial, Hannahatchee, John's Mountain, Mayhaw, Ocmulgee, Richmond Hill, West Point, Wilson Shoals, and Yuchi WMAs. Get a copy of the hunting regulations and directions to get to each of them will be included in the season information per WMA.Most of these ranges are served on a first come basis no fees required with the possible exception of being required to have a WMA stamp. Check with the DNR Regional office for those particulars. Atlanta is in DNR Region 3, the Game Management office number for that region is: 770-918-6416. If you are right in Atlanta, the closest one might well be West Point WMA. Have fun!!!

distguitar 10-17-2005 09:52 AM

Clybel sounds much more familiar! I will definately give them a call to find out how to get there.

Now before I overuse my welcome, I wanted to ask just a basic info on WMA ranges: what can I shoot at there? Are only paper targets allowed, and if not - what else can I bring?

I know I probably should ask them about details on this, but I just wanted to get basic understanding on this subject before I start asking specific questions over the phone.
I only fired my weapons in indoor ranges so far.

Thanks!!

Coastie 10-18-2005 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: distguitar

Clybel sounds much more familiar! I will definately give them a call to find out how to get there.

Now before I overuse my welcome, I wanted to ask just a basic info on WMA ranges: what can I shoot at there? Are only paper targets allowed, and if not - what else can I bring?

I know I probably should ask them about details on this, but I just wanted to get basic understanding on this subject before I start asking specific questions over the phone.
I only fired my weapons in indoor ranges so far.

Thanks!!
As far as I know, paper targets are the only thing allowed. Bottles have fallen into disfavor since most folks just don't bother to clean up their own mess. There are areas on the National Forest that are considered to be informal ranges where you may shoot at other stuff, but I would strongly suggest that you plan to take whatever your targets were home with you when you are done. You can get directions to these areas from the closest U.S. Forest Service information office.