HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Crossbows in Virginia??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/104278-crossbows-virginia.html)

Rebel Dog 06-30-2005 04:03 AM

Crossbows in Virginia???

What do you guys think about anyone being able to hunt with a crossbow now instead of just the handicapped? I have never used a crossbow do they have any more benefit than a compound?

kevin1 06-30-2005 05:16 AM

RE: Crossbows in Virginia???

They are about equal to a compound of the same quality , but they are much heavier and noisier . They aren't superweapons , and they won't destroy bow hunting , just ask anyone from Arkansas or Ohio . I own 2 of them and love them . I also have a recurve and love it just as much . If you get a chance , shoot one and decide for yourself whether or not it's for you .

hoyt3 06-30-2005 10:30 AM

hate them. they have no place in archery hunting. you cannot shoulder a compound, nor shoot it from a rest. altho compouds are advanced, they are nowhere near what a x bow is. I stand with pope and young on this. they will not be allowed in the record book, and don't think they belong in the woods. Now, I do believe whole heartedly that disabled people should be allowed to hunt with them. I have no problem with that. but in normal archery seasons being used by perfectly fit people, no.

o2bebowhunting 06-30-2005 12:36 PM

i have one.for me, it adds around and extra 12 yards of shooting distance.
at 20 yards--my bowtech is just as fast as my 10 pt xbow. its really heavy and awkward.

Kanga 06-30-2005 12:39 PM

Who cares what the next person is using.

Play your own game with what ever archery equipment you want and yes the crossbow is concidered archery equipment and has been around for 1000's of years.

soarkrebel 06-30-2005 05:41 PM

The question that brings all the soapbox "I'm better than you folks out!"

Why do people hate them so much??

They are no threat to the bow only dupes!

I own both a crossbow and a compound bow both are fine primitive weapon to hunt with.

kevin1 07-01-2005 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Who cares what the next person is using.

Play your own game with what ever archery equipment you want and yes the crossbow is concidered archery equipment and has been around for 1000's of years.

Well said Ausie-guy . That's all that really matters at the end of the day .

Aught Six 07-01-2005 11:09 AM

I have no interest in using a crossbow, but I'm all for other hunters using them if they so desire. It's not like we're having a shortage of whitetails in the state. I'm happy for other hunters when they harvest a deer, and I don't care what method they use as long as it conforms to the law.

brn2bow 07-24-2005 10:10 AM

I went up to the Cabelas in Hamburg PA last weekend. While at their range, I shot 2 bows, 1 Parker hunter mag compound {man, gotta have it!!!} and a cross bow. I'm not against the use of them. But they are not for me. I bowhunt for the challenge. Challenge being defined as consistency with the use of my equipment. Yes, I can target shoot all day long. But reality hunting doesn't present shots that you take on the range. Most of the time you're twisting, leaning, bending etc... to get that shot.

With a good rest, I don't see a difference between a crossbow and a rifle/ muzzleloader.

Just my 2cents:)

soarkrebel 07-24-2005 12:46 PM

With a good rest, I don't see a difference between a crossbow and a rifle/ muzzleloader.
You may need to be checked if you can't see the difference!!!!!!!

o2bebowhunting 07-26-2005 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: brn2bow

I went up to the Cabelas in Hamburg PA last weekend. While at their range, I shot 2 bows, 1 Parker hunter mag compound {man, gotta have it!!!} and a cross bow. I'm not against the use of them. But they are not for me. I bowhunt for the challenge. Challenge being defined as consistency with the use of my equipment. Yes, I can target shoot all day long. But reality hunting doesn't present shots that you take on the range. Most of the time you're twisting, leaning, bending etc... to get that shot.

Just my 2cents:)

there is a huge difference between them.

brn2bow 07-26-2005 07:53 PM

I agree, there is a differnce for the obvious reasons.

VA HEAD HUNTER 07-30-2005 11:50 PM

this is the dumbest law regarding hunting in va to be passed. all this is going to do is get people hurt and be a better tool for night hunting. all its gonna take for this to be banned is a couple hunting accidents caused by complete ignorance. every gun hunter who is to lazy and impatient to bow hunt are gonna be shootin on the run and making it a dangerous situation.

soarkrebel 07-31-2005 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: VA HEAD HUNTER

this is the dumbest law regarding hunting in va to be passed. all this is going to do is get people hurt and be a better tool for night hunting. all its gonna take for this to be banned is a couple hunting accidents caused by complete ignorance. every gun hunter who is to lazy and impatient to bow hunt are gonna be shootin on the run and making it a dangerous situation.
WOW sounds like you have lost your HEAD!!

Are kidding??

Crossbows have been legal in arkansas for a LONG time and i know of no wild folks getting hurt and shooting on the run. no increase in night hunting!
Are you suggesting that people in arkansas are superior than those in va??

I would bet your nieghbors in va might not appreciate your opinion!!

Come on think about what you said!!!!!!GEEZ!

VA HEAD HUNTER 07-31-2005 12:40 PM

actually yes i am lol. we have a huge problem in this area of central va with night hunting. also from info i have recieved from the game wardens in my area around my farm this law was passed to up the effort on population control of the deer but this is the wrong way to go about it. the only way we are going to control the massive numbers of deer here is to run the next couple years as doe only. i know alot of people would be against it but the facts are the facts. if you have 20 does and 20 bucks in an area and you kill 19 bucks, those 20 does will still get bred by that last buck. there are only a few counties in va that open does all season like here in fauqier county and they should do it all over the state. also we have a long season which goes from sept 1st to march if you include the early and late archery seasons.

soarkrebel 08-01-2005 12:45 AM

Head Hunter i can understand the night hunting . you probably have a poaching and trespassing problem also.
We have that in arkansas but it's not because of the crossbows. I think states need to really crack down HARD on the violators.
And population problems can be solved but the game and fish dept's are going to have to get smart folks in there to make the rules.
I have no faith in my states arkansas game and fish even if they do let us us crossbows.
Maybe they should require every hunter to tag 5 does before taking one buck. if you get caught not doing so hit them hard!
I have a problem in my club that i can't get my people to take does i am being patient as they have said they will take some each this year but if they don't next year we will make a strict requirement.
Va does have a long season ours runs from Oct 1 to Feb 15 now but used to run to Feb 28. some more of that AG&F wisdom at work.

Anyway i really don't think you have anything to worry about with crossbow hunters. yes some will pick one up ,as some do bows, and get tired of it and quit.
But that goes in all methods of hunting. true gung ho nuts (like fools that talk about it year round even on line!:D) will be an asset to population control.and who knows one crossbow hunter might actually show you what it's like to hunt with one and you may even add one to your list of gung ho nut tools to get out in the woods with.

Look i just tired of hearing folks bash crossbows and call folks that use them lazy. i have one and i am most definately not lazy about hunting. would a lazy fool have been out this weekend in the heat and seed ticks? I have been out scouting and seeing what i can see.

Give them a chance and this spring come back and tell us how you didnt see anyone with a crossbow all season.

P.S. if i wasn't so far away i would come up there and help you out with those deer!;):D

Rebel Dog 08-01-2005 05:15 AM

Head Hunter where in Fauquier are you at? Did you say you have a farm?

o2bebowhunting 08-01-2005 08:29 AM

head hunter--how is the xbow going to get people hurt? have you ever shot one? the xbow has this bias against it b/c, it seems, only lazy gun hunters use them. people that poach at night are still going to poach, reguardless if va has a xbow season. you need to accept it that xbows are here to stay. you can still use a compound bow. nobody is making you give up that choice.

ButchA 08-01-2005 09:51 AM

Speaking of crossbows..... Has anyone been to Green Top Sporting Goods (north of Richmond) lately?!?! I was there Saturday and good God... you should see the rack of crossbows they have now! They have as many crossbows as they do compounds! [&:]

I don't mind crossbows... I guess they have their place. I just have never shot one, nor even picked one up. Besides, they ain't exactly my style anyway. They are taking the challenge of out archery, wouldn't you think? Give me a compound bow any day of the week from 22' up in a tree stand... ;)

eng40sqd 08-01-2005 04:55 PM

actually yes i am lol. we have a huge problem in this area of central va with night hunting. also from info i have recieved from the game wardens in my area around my farm this law was passed to up the effort on population control of the deer but this is the wrong way to go about it. the only way we are going to control the massive numbers of deer here is to run the next couple years as doe only. i know alot of people would be against it but the facts are the facts. if you have 20 does and 20 bucks in an area and you kill 19 bucks, those 20 does will still get bred by that last buck. there are only a few counties in va that open does all season like here in fauqier county and they should do it all over the state. also we have a long season which goes from sept 1st to march if you include the early and late archery seasons.

Well I would have to voice my disagrement with Virginians being less superior than others.. if you have a self image and confidence problem then speak for yourself and be sure to only speak for yourself....

Now to the part of your qoute where in all your knowledge you are telling people that you have a deer season that runs from sept 1st to march in Fauqier well you once again should think before you speak or atleast check regulations...

September 17-30, 2005 and January 9-March 25, 2006 within the incorporated limits of the cities of Colonial Heights, Emporia, Franklin, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Radford, Richmond, and Winchester, and the towns of Altavista, Amherst, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Farmville, Independence, Rocky Mount, Tazewell, West Point and in Fairfax County. This season is open only in the localities just named. Restrictions and other information specific to each participating locality follow below. During this season only antlerless deer may be taken.
That is straight from the VDGIF webpage... Well it apears that if you were to start bowhunting anywhere in Va (other than if you had a damage permit) on Sept 1st, well you my friend are poaching.... On top of that if you do happen to follow the actaul start date of Urban season(Sept 17th) wihle hunting in Fauqier well... you are still poaching.... I believe that the first day you can legally hutn deer with any weapon in season in Fauqier would be Oct 1st.... while I myself feel that the opening day of archery season can not get here quick enough I suggest that you check you regs for the county you hunt in or maybe you will be the one caught poaching.... One statement is correct that you can legally harvest does all season long......

Just thought I would poitn these out to you ... wouldnt want you to get caught hunting out of season.. I mean we are less superior so I guess we need to help each other out!!!

eng40sqd 08-01-2005 04:57 PM

oh and by the way.. inquiring minds would like to know... what happened to all the land you had and the club you were starting up... you just fell off the face of the earth and didnt let anyone know what was happening??

VaSavage270 08-01-2005 05:17 PM

Can I give Two Cents?, Yes thank you..lol

I’m trying to figure out why so many people are against X-bows being utilized to harvest an animal in the state.

For those who may have the ostentatious belief that if one chooses such a method are deemed lazy etc., guns are allowed so what makes that right? I prefer using compound bow first; it’s a challenge and rewarding to me when I‘m able to harvest at close quarters.

Back to X-Bows, if the state mandates such law so be it! It appears there’s polemic debate for no reason of this matter. I look at it as another way (tool) for any man or woman to harvest and control population such animals as the White tailed Deer.

There'sargument about those who use dogs, but the state allows such in those counties. If it’s not your choice of weapon, why must we give another hunter (sportsman) a lashing for his or her choice?

VaSavage270 08-01-2005 05:23 PM

Oh that's Right ENG!

Whatever happen to this club, if I recall he jumped in head first..lolnot to question one's Integrity

ButchA 08-01-2005 07:04 PM

Yeah, what Eng said.... ;) What happend with all the stuff with the land and the VA Hunting Club? It just fizzled out somehow, didn't it?

hutch451 08-01-2005 07:55 PM

Hey Virginia Head Hunter, cross bows are not going to increase night poaching, hell they have been using them for years around here. I have given up compounds and gone to trad. yet still hunt with an inline and modern firearms, (even though this year i'm thinking my Ruger Redhawk only). To each his own, and if you are worried about crossbows and self inflicted injuries, well i'm a big fan of Darwinism

VA HEAD HUNTER 08-05-2005 10:48 AM

ok sorry for the delayed response. but i was stating the september to march seasons for the certain areas in va not for fauqier. as far as the hunt club, i ran into problems with insurance issues with the land owners. and with the fact that i did not want to sign a contract accepting full liability which is what the land owners wanted. if i was doing it for a profit making business then i would take the risk but i wasnt making anything on it so the risk out weighed the rewards if that makes any sence. now as far as the crossbow and night hunting goes, i have takled to quite a few individuals in the area who are game wardens,and police and they all expect the same thing this year, and that is an increase in poaching due to the new law. and yes i have shot crossbows and personally i dont like them. but im not going to take the side of those that say its a lazy way to bow hunt etc. because the compound bow and all the advances in the compound bow makes it just as easy versus traditional methods. my dislike for crossbows is just that i dnt like them. i also think that too many people buying them now are going to buy the cheapest ones they can just to hunt with them and they can be very dangerous to the operator. i know guys that have lost fingers and such. but from what im hearing from the wardens i know and others is that this law was passed to see what it does for the state and it will be reversed if it doesnt produce excellent results as far as deer population control or revenues to the state. so in other words if they dont see alot of money it will go off the books just as easy as it went on so dont get too attached to that new crossbow.

VA HEAD HUNTER 08-05-2005 10:56 AM

oh yea and yes the farm i lease is in fauqier. heres one of the management bucks from last year.

o2bebowhunting 08-05-2005 02:24 PM

i also think that too many people buying them now are going to buy the cheapest ones they can just to hunt with them and they can be very dangerous to the operator.

hmmm- i spent $900 on my 10 point. cheapest--i dont think so

oh--nice deer

eng40sqd 08-05-2005 02:55 PM

Va... I have an insurance company that will insure any type of hunting and from 1 erson to as many as you wish to include on the club membership list and at a very low cost/// There are alot of clubs that this company insures so tey are not a fly by night company. They are actually based in Va.. if you would like some help with the insurance then let me know.... if you still have my number give me a shout... if not email me I will get it to you.. I had yours but it is the old one I cant find the new one

[email protected]

Justin

VA HEAD HUNTER 08-06-2005 02:51 AM

i was talking about the 200 dollar bows. not the 900 dollar bows

pocomoke 08-08-2005 08:12 PM

I think people just have this vision that a xbow is deadly at long range.Like if you use one you can shoot at a deer 100 yards away.Of course these folks have never shot one or they would know that after 45 yards or so they drop like a rock.

These fanatical compound shooters that just hate them because they are like a rifle/shotgun,well I say,come on man!!!Mine turns to mush after 45 yards or so and it cost me $600.But you have a compound with top notch sites,releases,carbon arrows,a 6 foot long stabilizer and can hit bullseyes at 60 yards while sneezing and this is all ok.But a deadly crossgun.No way is this archery equipment you say,PLEEEEASE!!!

If your state allows them during archery season,they are archery equipment,and anyone who chooses to use one,well good luck this season.Get a big one.

One of these days hunters will stop whining and boohooing over whos using what,and doing this,etc.If its legal,its legal..I even see qdm nuts bashing folks for killing legal deer because it should have been allowed to walk.Unreal...[:o]