Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows >

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Old 05-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

HDW, can you prove that as fact? look I wasn't born yesterday, I've talked to dozens of guys who sold they're hmr's, I talked at length, mostly to determine weather they were knolegeable, or just spouting off, a few of them I've known long enough and shot with them enough that I took they're word as gospel. Now, who reccomends the 17 HMR for coyotes? Who?, the 22 WMR with a 50 gr bullet is marginal and your saying the same case with a 20 gr. bullet is reccomended? GIVE ME A BREAK! the hmr is a fine lil rifle, no doubt, very accurate but its a known fact that the smaller you drill STRAIGHT through barrel stock, the better stuff ya gotta use, and BTW Green mountain barrels are making almost all the 17 hmr barrels. I don't give a darn if you post of killing elephants with it on the net, the 17 HMR is NOT a coyote gun. The 17 rem has alot heavier jacket on a 25 gr. bullet and another 1500 fps faster and it won't pass through a yote but I'm sposed to believe the HMR will?

BTW I'm talking about ultramax reman ammo, 235.00 per thousand
If you have no experience with a 17 HMR dont even bother posting, because whatever you type and its different from my own personal experience, I know you are full of Cr@p or are just flat out ignorant.
So anybody who says they're results don't match yours are ignorant? thats class there! have read almost all the books I can find on exterior ballistics, which ones did you write?
RR

Congratulations, Another Arm chair ballistics expert. Its pretty easy to read about exterior ballistics, but it doesnt make you a ballistics expert. Do you log your own ballistics based on your experience??? if so, is it identical to everything that you read??? if it is you are full of Cr@p.

Asfar as the 20 grain game points being recommended for song dogs, you might want to look at this link, http://www.cci-ammunition.com/defaul...nu=1&s1=4&s2=8
notice the usage key and listed usage for the the 20 grain game point 1 plinking 4 varmints 7 large game. Most every one who is familiar with rimfire game size classifications, large game for a rimfire is generally coyote sized animals........
Old 05-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge runner I just noticed you are from west virginia, before we both get in a tizzy and end up hating eachother. I will say I dont think a 17 hmr is suitable for the size of yotes in your neck of the woods your mature male yotes are in the upwards of 50 to 60 lbs, but the 17 HMR is plenty of gun for the yotes here in the west for shots absolutley no further then 100-125 yards, A mature male yote here in Arizona is 25 to 30 lbs max. your results and my results being in to different ends of the country and the fact the yotes here are half the size of the yotes in WV ofcourse we would have different ideas on what is suitable for a yote and whats not.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:16 PM

HERE WE GO AGAIN
Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM

I dont dought that a 17 will drop a coyote with the correct shot placement and maybe a few shots, but I do have a little doubts about a complete pass through. But with a cci that may be completly possible. And I have no reason to believe HDW is making this up. But if someone is looking for a coyote/crow gun, they should just go with something bigger, like a 223 or 22 hornet.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyotegod

I dont dought that a 17 will drop a coyote with the correct shot placement and maybe a few shots, but I do have a little doubts about a complete pass through. But with a cci that may be completly possible. And I have no reason to believe HDW is making this up. But if someone is looking for a coyote/crow gun, they should just go with something bigger, like a 223 or 22 hornet.

i will agree with ya, its better to be over gunned then under gunned, I dred the the day coyote huntng and I call in a mountian lion if thats happens I'll hope for the best but just incase I carry a 357 mag on my hip when out with my 17 HMR. The 17 hmr is quite the minimum in my opinion for a yote but it will do the job out to 100 yards with a well placed lung shot. I own both a 223 and a 22-250 I will admit they are much better song dog guns not to mention their effectiveness out to longer distances over a 17 HMR, like i said before the maximum effective range for a 17 HMR on a yote is 100 to 125 yards, But either my 223 or 22-250 I wont hesitate to drop a yote at ranges beyond 300 yards. The majorityof my yote kills were at ranges as close as 30 to 40 yards alot of them were killed with a shotgun loaded with BB lead shot or #4 buck, at 30 - 40 yards I have no doubt in my mind that the 17 HMR would be inadequate for a clean kill. At those close ranges even an average shot should beable to produce a head shot for a clean kill, even with a 22 long rifle.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 AM

No doubt that a 223 is a great coyote round but after using my 204 Ruger on a yote my 223 will be collecting some dust. That 204 realy impressed me. Thats a good idea carying a 357 with you when you take your 17. I read about this guy that was calling and felt something breathing down his neck, he turned around to find a mountain lion growling right in his face. I wouldnt want to be in his shoes.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyotegod

No doubt that a 223 is a great coyote round but after using my 204 Ruger on a yote my 223 will be collecting some dust. That 204 realy impressed me. Thats a good idea carying a 357 with you when you take your 17. I read about this guy that was calling and felt something breathing down his neck, he turned around to find a mountain lion growling right in his face. I wouldnt want to be in his shoes.

something similar happened to a friend of mine in Arkansas about 30 years ago, he took his 12 year old son squirrel hunting. They were walking through the woods with 22's, My friend said he heard something behind them when he turned it was puma (aka mountain lion) about 30 yards away, he said it was staring right at them , he told his son to get behind him and just as his son moved the cat began running at them. My friend in fear of his son and himself unloaded all 10 rounds of his ruger 10-22 at the cat 3 rounds fatally hit the cat one in the eye two in its skull, he said when the cat came to full stop it was with in a foot or so of his feet. He reported the incident to game and fish and got to keep the cat he weighed it before skinning it it weighed in at 155 lbs now the hide hangs over his fireplace. My friend said he'd never been so scared in his life before. Even when he was a marine fighting in korea he said he doesnt remember being as scared as he was during his run in with a mountain lion.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen some tests on the 17 verses the .22LR
the .22lr actually had more penetration than the 17. that little bullet is just way to small if you ask me.

Well duhhh!!!.............. a 22 LR is a 36 or 40 grain solid style bullet its not designed to expand on impact like the 17 HMR's. Havent you ever talked to big game hunters who prefer a heavy lead cast bullet over a lighter faster jacketed bullet, because the heavier lead cast bullets penetrate deeper???? If you ask me its kinda retarded to compare penetration between a 17 HMR and a 22 LR since they are both designed so differently.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Winchester Model-190 in .22 Long and Long Rifle. My Friend a .17hmr and me and him have often gone hunting together and bagged many a squirrel, The.17 has great distance with little drop and my .22 has more knockdown, yet I think that it would depend on how good a shot u are and the distance your shooting i like my .22 b/c i have a treestand, and all I have to do is put scent on and call mainly feral dogs in and pop them in the head and they drop like flys. (But i never shoot over 65 yards)