Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows >

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Old 05-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Default RE: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

gopher slayer you should learn to read or ask questions before you run your fingers. i never said i was compairing the two downwind. i was compairing the .17 downwind with a .22 long at the muzzel. the hole point was to show that shortly after the .17 leaves the barrel it is about the same energy as a .22. and as i said before that after 200yards the .17 is getting close to a good pellet rifle energy level. boy what a yo yo.[:'(]
Old 05-05-2005, 05:21 PM

Missed another I agree with gopher slayer. If you dont know what youre talking about dont say it. And if you dont own a 17 you should just keep your mouth shut. All I got to say is that you cant even compare a 22 to a 17 hmr and if you owned one you would know that!
boy what a yo yo.
I know, talk about a yo yo.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:38 PM

coyotegod just because you agree does not make you right. i don't think you actually understand energy levels and what they have to do with the round. the numbers i gave you were right from Hornady's lab data sheet. there is an old saying that goes like this." do you really understand everything you know".
Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM

I think i'm posting my question a little bit too late, but....what animal(s) is the .17 primarly made/used for? Would it be overkill for a squirrel or rabbit?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 PM

with the energy levels available with this round. the experts say it is ideal for fox, squirrels, prairie dogs, cottontails and jackrabbits. i didn't write this i am just repeating what is in the magazine.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

missed_another

bigmatt do you know that at 100 yds the .17 hmr has less energy than a .22 long. at 200 yds it has less than half the energy on a .22 long. at 250 yds you are entering into a good bb gun energy level
missed_another

gopher slayer you should learn to read or ask questions before you run your fingers. i never said i was compairing the two downwind. i was compairing the .17 downwind with a .22 long at the muzzel. the hole point was to show that shortly after the .17 leaves the barrel it is about the same energy as a .22. and as i said before that after 200yards the .17 is getting close to a good pellet rifle energy level. boy what a yo yo.
Jeeze get your story straight, one time your talking about downwind and another time your saying at the muzzle either way the 17hmr has greater energy out to 200 yards
Old 05-06-2005, 11:09 AM

All Im saying is that if you dont have any experience with the round personaly, dont write like you know all about it. You cant base your opinion on what you read on other websites. It sounds like you've never even shot this round.
there is an old saying that goes like this." do you really understand everything you know".
And as far as that goes it doesnt sound like you know anything.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM

gopherslayer and coyotegod you guys type pretty good but you sure can't read. you are so set on calling me wrong that the post i put in are not sinking in. slow down and read it again i never said anything about a the .22 downwind.................................. these are periods and they are right behind the word LONG in my post. i am talking about the .17 downwind. the amount of energy and how quick it loses it. the numbers also are not off a web site the are from a book and the book is from HORNADY. THEY ARE THE LAB DATA SHEETS. maybe you two should call HORNADY and tell them that they do not know what they are talking about. i didn't write these numbers i am just passing them on.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Ok, so thats the hornaday ammo im guessing. Hornaday is not the only ammo out there for the 17, I guess you didnt know that considering you've never shot this round. Give it up man, you cant sit there and convince me that a 22 long is more powerful than a 17 hmr.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Im not saying that a 17hmr is good for anything bigger than a rabbit, although Ive taken plenty of fox and bobcats with it. But you cant say that a 17 is just as powerful or less powerful than a 22 long. Sure out past 200 yards they're about the same, but I wouldnt be making a shot on a fox or anything bigger out past 159 yds. It just realy makes my hot when people ramble on about a round they dont know anything about and have never shot.

Quick Reply: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.