Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows >

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Old 04-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

just me ; I would go with the 22 mag. a little more cal. better in my opinion for a lot more animals.
the 17 is just to light.(sorta like shooting deer with 22 rimfire),it will work , just not the right cal.
JMHO

Anything the 22mag can do the .17 can do better!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:53 PM

about the only thing i would hunt with the .17 cal. would be squirrels.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Anything the 22mag can do the .17 can do better!
Diddo
about the only thing i would hunt with the .17 cal. would be squirrels
You must not own one.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:16 PM

i guess i should have said that i would use a .17 on a crows also. but i am from the east and the .17 is pretty much useless here. to small for much of anything else around here. to use a .17 cal on any animal bigger than a crow or squirrel is being irresponsible.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: missed_another

i guess i should have said that i would use a .17 on a crows also. but i am from the east and the .17 is pretty much useless here. to small for much of anything else around here. to use a .17 cal on any animal bigger than a crow or squirrel is being irresponsible.

Hogwash, I've killed dozens of groundhogs with my .17, the farthest to date out to 173 yards...I'm still looking for that 200yd shot...Killed them all dead in their tracks. I would not hesitate to pop a fox or yote with mine...Perhaps you better work on your accuracy and shooting skills...
Old 04-23-2005, 01:28 PM

CYCLONE i hunt squirrels with a ruger super-six so lets not touch my shooting skills nor will i touch yours. that's not the point here. lets just say if you could pump up your bb gun so it would produce 2000fps would you use it on coyotes or woodchucks. i don't think so. of the so called dozens of woodchucks you shot dead on the spot with your .17 how many others ran down the hole or laid on the ground kicking for a short time.. i'm guessing quite a few times when you thought you missed were actual hits and the animal made it home before they died. it's just not fair to the animal to under gun it. there is just not enough mass in that bullet to produce the wound channels needed to dispatch most animals quickly. speed is not everything. i think the best thing to shoot with that caliber would be paper or the small animals that were discussed earlier.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

lets just say if you could pump up your bb gun so it would produce 2000fps would you use it on coyotes or woodchucks. i don't think so. of the so called dozens of woodchucks you shot dead on the spot with your .17 how many others ran down the hole or laid on the ground kicking for a short time

Check this site out before you knock air rifles...
http://www.air-rifle.net/history/history.html...

Seems Lewis and Clark had some fairly powerful ones for when they ran out of powder. I have a bud that has killed groundhogs at 100 yds with his high power .22 cal air rifle...I've seen postings of game up to the size of elk killed with air rifles...

And the answer to your assumption about losing some down the hole....Zero...although I know it can and eventually will happen, with any firearm not just the .17...

Should I go to a .50 cal...
Old 04-23-2005, 05:43 PM

the story of the elk with a bb gun is a pretty good one. and the 100 yard shot. ummm i got some land in florida you may be interested in. [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

the story of the elk with a bb gun is a pretty good one. and the 100 yard shot. ummm i got some land in florida you may be interested in. [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

I truely hope that you use that 22 mag on the crows so you don't blow them up too bad....cause your about to eat some....[8D]

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epelletgunn/fe23.htm

That's the elk...

Check out page 1 for some turkeys, page 10 for a hog, page 11 for some fox, 13 for the yotes, page 17 for one of the groundhogs that my bud shot....he's in a wheelchair.., and go back and look at page 23 again for the 600lb elk cow....

Do you need any recipes for crow???
Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Correction:: page 12 for the yotes...

Quick Reply: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.