HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Here are my options (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/88861-here-my-options.html)

zak123 02-01-2005 04:01 PM

Here are my options

I want to get rid of some coyotes on my land. I have several Bridger #2 traps, but I cannot get up there to check them everyday. I am getting my truck soon, so I will be able to continue trapping. In the mean time I have resorted to shooting them. I am planning on hunting at night. My state allows only .22 lr's and a shotgun with shot no bigger than 6. I have an XXFull choke. Would a shotgun with #6 kill a coyote? How far away is this shot lethal to? Thanks

Sixgun_Redneck 02-01-2005 05:22 PM

RE: Here are my options

damn what state are you in? Won't let you use anything biggger than a .22LR.

Those guys in politics shouldn't be allowed to make regulations on things they don't know what their talking about.

zak123 02-01-2005 05:24 PM

I live in MS. Those regulations only apply at night.

DearSlayer357 02-01-2005 05:54 PM

I would say that #6 isnt a great chose. My cousin on saturday was squirrel hunting and started using his squirrel disstress call and a yote came charging in. He put the beed on it's head and pulled the trigger. The yote was about 15 yards away. He shot it with 6 shot out of a 12 ga with a mod. choke. He didnt find it.

Howler 02-01-2005 06:14 PM

The yote was about 15 yards away. He shot it with 6 shot out of a 12 ga with a mod. choke. He didnt find it.
Your cousin didn't hit the coyote with the full load or it would've anchored it on the spot. You should be able to kill a coyote even out to 25 yards on a broadside shot, with bird shot, and kill it on the spot, but you need to hit it square with the full load. There have been many a coyote shot by pheasant hunters with bird shot!!
Maybe the politicians in your state are tree huggers and figure that they'll save all the poor little coyotes by making you use less than adequate means to effectively kill them at any distance, or maybe it's just that they like the idea of lots of wounded animals left to die a slow death[:'(]

Ks_Sniper 02-02-2005 01:30 AM

Did they say only a .22lr or did they say nothing bigger than a .22 caliber bullet. BIG difference there. If they said .22lr, then get yourself a .17HM2 and you'll drop yotes a lot easier.

Night Hawk 223 02-02-2005 04:34 AM

at night i would go with the shotgun and the #6 shot and limit my shots to 25yds

i have shot a coyote with #7 1/2 shot 12g at about 20yds and he pilled up right there. and my brother shot a bobcat at about 15yds with a singleshot 20g birdshot and dropped it on the spot.

zak123 02-02-2005 02:23 PM

They said only a .22 lr or a shotgun with shot no bigger than 6.

johnch 02-02-2005 02:41 PM

I would hunt at first light or hunt the last hour before dark with my 223

Ks_Sniper 02-03-2005 12:17 AM

In that case, go with the shotgun at close ranges, otherwise you could quite likely end up with some wounded, mad, and very mean yotes to deal with.