Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Skunk??

Old 02-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Skunk??

I am mounting a skunk now, I used
1 Qt of 3% Peroxide
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
Tsp of dawn

I think that is the recipe. I know for a fack that works. The skunk hide is in my house now.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:09 PM

had same problem we had about 5-10 skunks on our land livin under ourpolebarn. just burrowed there way in there. bad thing is we built a apartment in it and they were living right under it. they got into our trash. ate our cats food. and sprayed them. one night me and my dad got sick of it threw out some cat food grabed 2, 12 gauges and waited chased them got into our front yard and we unload on them. i killed mine and my dad just wounded his and died under our apartment[:@][:@][:@] (only one that sprayed was the one i killed but i think it was just the buckshot. had 2 do that about 2-4 more times. last one there was i was about 3-5 feet behind it and we only had one shell in the 12 gauge cause we ran out. well cause im such a good shot i killed it with that one shot.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 PM

Had a couple of rabid skunks in my community.I saw one,took my .22 rifle and shot in my front yard.My luck a cop was down the road.He came up saw the skunk and almost cited me. I had it tested and it WAS rabid,out during the day too. Never did get cited for it either.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:09 AM

I had a problem with a family of skunks that lived under an old house next to mine. Someone moved in and they relocated to my garage. I placed a 220 conibear trap on the inside of the hole they were comming in through and caught 9 of them in about 2 1/2 weeks. They practically had to crawl on thier bellies to get through the hole so when they were caught by the head with conibear thier boddies were still in the hole. I never had one of them spray.

If you use a live trap limbereger cheese works as a good bait. I have used it for skunks a few times but they will come to just about anything, canned cat food - pasteries whatever. I have caught them with just about whatever I had on hand at the time.

If you through an old blanket over the box trap the skunk might spray but it wont get you then you can move the trap and release the skunk if you want.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM

i dug one of the bottles out to get the proper name for anyone that is interested. it is called SKUNK-OFF and it is made by
Thornell Corporation
160 wheelock Road
Penfield, Ny 14526
this stuff works really well you gotta try it.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot it just wait till its in the neighbors yard or across the street, LOL my buddy bill had one in his yard and shot it 2 feet from his porch even after getting rid of the carcass the smell was around for weeks, I told him next time let it carry its own stink away on its own 4 feet across the hiway before you shoot it.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a couple of rabid skunks in my community.I saw one,took my .22 rifle and shot in my front yard.My luck a cop was down the road.He came up saw the skunk and almost cited me. I had it tested and it WAS rabid,out during the day too. Never did get cited for it either.

had a similar incident except it was a rabid racoon out in the day and i shot it between the eyes with my benjamin sheridan air rifle. And the neighbors called the cops lol i thought for sure i was gonna get cited but ended getting a long lecture about discharging firearms in city limits and a thank you for taking out the rabid racoon the cop was really cool about the whole thing.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

4x4innc.....I use a Trap that I bought at the feed store......I buy a can of SARDINES and
punch holes on the top with an ice pick.....put it in the trap....set the Trap.

When you catch one,keep a distance or he will point his tail and squirt you.Try a HEAD shot
you don't want to bust up the scent glan's....you might trap some FOXES too. IT WORkS!!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM

I use live traps and the .22 with any type of left over food scraps or fish guts stuff like that. If you shoot it shoot for the lungs not the head, skunks use their lungs to spray and cannot spray if you hit the lungs.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:23 AM

set a live trap, bait with marshmallows to avoid cats. once caught slowly walk up to cage and cover with blanket or towel, once covered the skunk will not spray, trust me I do this for a living! You can then transport to the country and release and shoot it once it is out of the trap. To remove skunk odor, mix 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide,1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap in bucket and apply to stunk up area.