Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.223 good varmint caliber?

Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 PM

Default .223 good varmint caliber?

Hey guys, I have been considering buying a rifle for varmint hunting in the .223 caliber for a long time. I like that the ammo is especially cheap and fast. I know I want speed and practicality; are there any other calibers that fit this description? I am a college student (money matters) and I have been looking on WalMart.com at some of the single shots...they seem the cheapest. I saw a Braztech single shot for 157.00, a NEF for 187.00, and an H&R for 230.00. I was wondering if anyone had a Braztech and what they thought about that brand. Are Braztech's as good as the others? I am really interested in getting into predator hunting and any information at all would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .223 good varmint caliber?

Any rifle is a good varmint gun, depending on if you are looking on saving the pelts? Don't know much abotu any of those brands of guns other than H&R. I had been looking at one of there shotguns myself and it looked to be an awesome gun! Sorry bout the others. - Buckhunter14
Old 01-24-2005, 07:46 AM

.223 is an excellent varment round, I dont know about those firearms as I am not a big single shot guy. I would suggest a good quality bolt gun but that is not to say a single cant do it just as good, I simply dont know. I would suggest that when you buy a scope to invest a good chunk of change on a very good piece of glass. Often you get what you pay for in optics. Another good calibers to look at is a 22-250.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy and welcome to the forums.

Yes, the .223 is an excellent choice for varmints. That's what I use. As for the gun, I'm not a big single shot fan, either. There are a lot of good, quality bolt guns out there that can be bought at pretty reasonable prices. And like DM1975 said, be prepared to invest in a good, high quality scope. If you wanted a rifle for deer/predators, you might consider something larger that still shoots fairly flat, like a 25-06. It is a little harder on the pelts, so if your keeping the hides, it may not be an option. I don't keep the pelts (mainly because most of the coyotes I shoot don't have much hair), so excessive damage is not a concern for me.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 AM

I'd say that any round is fine for killin varmets
but if your getting a .223 I'd say go for it because I've shot coyotes with one before and never had a problem with it. I'd have to say that I've had the most fun shooting coyotes with a .223
My uncle buddy just got a new Ruger one. i dont know which model and all that but I just know that it was a good smooth rifle with a deadly accurate shot.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:34 AM

If you want a deer rifle also you could look into a 243. They are good varment rifles and decent deer rifles. Like North Texan said a 25-06 is a good caliber but a 243 will be better if you want to keep the pelts. I only mention the 243 for deer because some states wont allow a 223 however if you live in a state where they are allowed that caliber is an effective deer rifle also if shot responsibly.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:32 PM

The single shot would be my last choice! If you wound a 'yote, and everyone does, you'll need a follow-up shot and the break-action guns aren't fast enough. Get a bolt action....
Old 01-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Thanks guys. I would much rather have a bolt action .223...does anyone know of any models that are reasonably priced? I like Rugers, but they are pretty high.

Thanks again,
-ritterzs
Old 01-25-2005, 10:54 AM

Savage usualy has some pretty good deals and they are decent rifles. They have package deals that include a scope but I would advise against getting one of these as you will be getting a rather substandard scope. There rifles are good though.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:50 PM

A single shot isnt bad. If you get good at shooting it you could probably load it just as fast as a bolt action. I know a few guys that can do it. I know how it is going to college. Dont spend more than you need to. I almost broke my bank with a 204 ruger i just got. I wish I would have went with the 223. But thats just for financial resons. 223 is a good choice.

Quick Reply: .223 good varmint caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.