HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   i think my gun is way to big (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/85766-i-think-my-gun-way-big.html)

PapaD 01-09-2005 02:18 PM

i think my gun is way to big

well ive never gone coyote hunting before, and i really want to try it because i just have the urge to hunt.
there are some farmers around me that will actually pay for us to kill the coyotes. However the only 2 guns i own are a 7mm rem mag and a remington 870 express magnum 20 guage. i would much prefer using the 7mm because of distance reasons, but im afraid the bullet will just absolutly destroy the coyote. is the gun too big? i would still like to keep the hide.

DearSlayer357 01-09-2005 03:11 PM

RE: i think my gun is way to big

I would say that its way way too much gun for coyotes. It would be ok if you werent worried about keeping the hide and destroying the coyote.

Deerslayer_37 01-09-2005 05:30 PM

too much gun. i shot a coyote at 10 feet during deer season lsat year with a 130 grain .270, Hornady interbonds, it was a young male coyote. i basically gutted him. i shot a fox with it 4 years ago at 250 yards, and it also gutted the thing.

slayer

jrbsr 01-09-2005 08:39 PM

Maybe use light fmj bullets.

loui 01-09-2005 09:14 PM

load some barns-x I have seen cyote fox otter wolf all shot with 7mm and barns-x just 2 hole in and out no damage

ELKINMTCWB 01-09-2005 09:26 PM

use a big game bulet in barns or corelock. get the heavest grain you can .It will not expand in a yote or a fox intill you hit a bigger bone.JUST as LOUI said 2 holes 1 in 1 out.

good luck

Night Hawk 223 01-10-2005 12:03 PM

a big game bullet will not expand rapidly and should work great. i use a 308 for coyotes with 147gn fmj and it works great.;)

blazingbarrels270 01-10-2005 01:31 PM

I would say to get some full metal jacket rounds, as they wont expand at all, but always make sure you're shooting into something. I have a 6.5*55 Swedish Mauser and use full metal jacket rounds, this gun is very powerful and will flatline shoot 400 yards, leaving in and out holes.

Colt1911 01-11-2005 06:18 PM

Depends what you want. Like Deerslayer_37 said, if you don’t mind destroying the thing go ahead and use the 7mm mag with deer loads. I’ve shot two coyotes in deer season with a 30-06, 150 grain ballistic tips and it absolutely destroyed them. Since I just wanted to be rid of them it didn’t matter, but if I wanted the pelts it would have been a bit messy.
If you reload you can get some light bullets and load them lighter than max, if you don’t reload look for some factory fmjs.

Blacksmithray 01-14-2005 08:39 AM

yes your guns are all to big it dont take a cannon to kill a coyote a 22 mag is great they are not that toughto kill