Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time yote hunter.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 PM

Default First time yote hunter.

I need to know how to hunt yotes. I will be going for the first time soon. I have a fawn in distress call I will be using, or will I have better luck with a rodent sqecker by knight and hale? I also have a howler call. I will be useing a 12 ga with 00 buck most likely.My questions are...

1. When.. and how to hunt them at night.
2. How
3. how to locate
4. Anything else I need to know.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Default RE: First time yote hunter.

I prefer hunting coyotes of a morning or evening or night....if i was hunting them at night i would set up in the evening and sit for 15 min and let things settle down before u started calling. When things calm down and its almost dark if none have howled i would start with the howler and locate them. If it is completly dark and u still want to hunt i have seen on tapes many times where u can use a flashlight to scan the edge where u expect them to come from....dont shine it directly in their eyes. Be sure to use ur rodent call too. and using a shotgun make sure u dont try to shoot out of ur range...get them in close enough.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Expect them to come from downwind. The problem with a shotgun is the range. Most of the coyotes I have called in circled downwind and were probably 75 yards out. I have never been able to fool the nose of a yote. Remember you will also call in fox and bobcats if there are any around. If you use a red cover on the light it will be less disturbing to the animals you call in. I use to carry a small 12 volt garden tractor battery in a backpack and used a 200,000 candlepower lamp. That way I could identify before I pulled the trigger instead of shooting at glowing eyes in the dark. A friend of mine killed a neighbors dog doing that. Good luck, it's alot of fun.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:09 PM

wouldnt that be considerd shining and be illegal? im hopin to go coyote hunting in a week or two as well and am still learning about all this stuff.