HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/82753-best-pellet-squirrel-rabbit.html)

Dairy King 12-15-2004 03:20 PM

Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

Whats the best pellet for these two critters?

Bigfoot223 12-15-2004 03:58 PM

RE: Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

when i go hunting for squirrel i like to use a gold plated pellet with a hollow point to help the kill. i got my pellets at wal mart take a look there . Around $4:00 the brand name is beeman. good luck findin the pellets and good luck gettin those squirrel

JoeinNY 12-15-2004 04:50 PM

I use RWS Super H Point pellets in .177..... They are 6.9 grains. I have not shot anything with them yet, But I plan to soon. It has been too windy for a pellet gun, especially with that type of pellet weight.;)

KonaBoy 12-15-2004 05:03 PM

How fast is your pellet gun going and is it a .177 or a .22??? I have a .22 going at 495FPS and my dad told me it is to small for rabbits.

take-em 12-15-2004 05:15 PM

I have a Gamo hunter 240 and it shoots a .177 pellet at 1000 fps. I can't remember what pellets I use though.

JoeinNY 12-15-2004 06:06 PM

KonaBoy, it is a Gamo Young Hunter. It shoots 640 fps... Yes, 495 fps, will bounce off of them and make them laugh at you.... literally.....;)

zak123 12-15-2004 06:08 PM

The fps on the box is deceiving. They shoot the gun with the lightest pellet possible. I doubt you are shooting that pellet. Using a heavier pellet will slow the gun down. I have a .22 pellet gun that has been tested at about 700 fps. I wrote an artical about pellet choice. I would recommend a wadcutter (flat nose) pellet. Coming in a close second are the hollow points. I would not use the pointed or dome topped pellets. Pointed pellets tend to plain. Also when they hit, they do not do much damage. They make a clean little hole. It is the same way with a dome topped pellet. A hollow point pellet is a good choice, but they are not very accurate. They also tend to catch some wind and slow down. When the pellet hits, it expands causing a massive wound. A hollow point pellet is a good choice if your gun is accurate with them. The wadcutter pellets are more accurate and also leave a massive wound. When the bullet hits, it flattens out and does some damage. I would recommend a wadcutter pellet.

JoeinNY 12-15-2004 06:33 PM

zak, would a wadcutter be something like a Gamo Match? I have plenty of them.... I thought they were used for punching holes in paper. If you could dig that article up for me, I sure would like to read it.;)

Dairy King 12-15-2004 06:46 PM

Its one of them Chinese air rifles. Its powered by a spring. I have no idea what the speeds are, but it will kill a rabbit, Ive shot two so far, both didnt get too far. The one I head shot from 15 yards fell over and flopped around, and by the time I got another pellet it, he was dead. Do all pellet guns have rifling in the barrels? Mine does. Too say its Chinese and only cost 20 bucks, Its a damn good pellet gun.

Edit==I just did a search on google, and someone wrote a review of these guns, and says it has an advertised speed of 840.

gopher slayer 12-15-2004 08:10 PM

i have 500fps airgun, it was my first gun i bought it with my own money. Ive scince upgraded to a .22, 12gauge and 17hmr for varmint. i shot gophers with a gamo match pellet they seem to kill the gophers faster then the point and they were more accurate.