Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

Old 12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

Whats the best pellet for these two critters?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:58 PM

Default RE: Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

when i go hunting for squirrel i like to use a gold plated pellet with a hollow point to help the kill. i got my pellets at wal mart take a look there . Around $4:00 the brand name is beeman. good luck findin the pellets and good luck gettin those squirrel
Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM

I use RWS Super H Point pellets in .177..... They are 6.9 grains. I have not shot anything with them yet, But I plan to soon. It has been too windy for a pellet gun, especially with that type of pellet weight.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

How fast is your pellet gun going and is it a .177 or a .22??? I have a .22 going at 495FPS and my dad told me it is to small for rabbits.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:15 PM

I have a Gamo hunter 240 and it shoots a .177 pellet at 1000 fps. I can't remember what pellets I use though.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 PM

KonaBoy, it is a Gamo Young Hunter. It shoots 640 fps... Yes, 495 fps, will bounce off of them and make them laugh at you.... literally.....
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM

The fps on the box is deceiving. They shoot the gun with the lightest pellet possible. I doubt you are shooting that pellet. Using a heavier pellet will slow the gun down. I have a .22 pellet gun that has been tested at about 700 fps. I wrote an artical about pellet choice. I would recommend a wadcutter (flat nose) pellet. Coming in a close second are the hollow points. I would not use the pointed or dome topped pellets. Pointed pellets tend to plain. Also when they hit, they do not do much damage. They make a clean little hole. It is the same way with a dome topped pellet. A hollow point pellet is a good choice, but they are not very accurate. They also tend to catch some wind and slow down. When the pellet hits, it expands causing a massive wound. A hollow point pellet is a good choice if your gun is accurate with them. The wadcutter pellets are more accurate and also leave a massive wound. When the bullet hits, it flattens out and does some damage. I would recommend a wadcutter pellet.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:33 PM

zak, would a wadcutter be something like a Gamo Match? I have plenty of them.... I thought they were used for punching holes in paper. If you could dig that article up for me, I sure would like to read it.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its one of them Chinese air rifles. Its powered by a spring. I have no idea what the speeds are, but it will kill a rabbit, Ive shot two so far, both didnt get too far. The one I head shot from 15 yards fell over and flopped around, and by the time I got another pellet it, he was dead. Do all pellet guns have rifling in the barrels? Mine does. Too say its Chinese and only cost 20 bucks, Its a damn good pellet gun.

Edit==I just did a search on google, and someone wrote a review of these guns, and says it has an advertised speed of 840.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

i have 500fps airgun, it was my first gun i bought it with my own money. Ive scince upgraded to a .22, 12gauge and 17hmr for varmint. i shot gophers with a gamo match pellet they seem to kill the gophers faster then the point and they were more accurate.

Quick Reply: Best Pellet for squirrel and rabbit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.