Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit Hunting

Old 12-02-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Rabbit Hunting

Hi Everyone! Many of you who know me, know that I am an avid squirrel hunter. But, I would now like to try my luck on rabbits. I will be using the trusty .177 caliber Gamo of course. I saw the rabbits all spring and summer, but the day the season opened, they disappeared. We have not gotten a good snow fall this year. I have never gone rabbit hunting before, but if I were to see one during squirrel hunting, I would pop it of course. I need some serious tips on rabbit hunting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:46 AM

Default RE: Rabbit Hunting

they can be a real pain in the a**e sometimes Joe. You could either wait in ambush outside their warrens but wait until they are about 20 - 30 yards away from the warren. Put some bait out over a few days and then lie in wait or you could lamp them if its legal in your state (i dont know much about US state laws) Good luck though and have fun!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:27 AM

Mike, it is legal in my state ( New York ) to hunt at night for certain game. We can only hunt with a light for predator, furbearer and rabbits. It would be great for me to come across one during the day, but I don't think that will happen. Today is Friday. Maybe I will stay out later tonight with the light. I don't know.[:@]
Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion to you would be to hunt only the last 1 1/2 to 2 hours before shooting light is over, this is when they will be most active. use a good pair of binoculars and study a creek or river bottom. I have found that cottontails like the willows and thorn patches the best (go figure). Most of the ones I have gotten, have come while they were PERFECTLY still in a thorn or willow patch and I was able to pop them. Don't look for an entire animal, look for the ears, eyes, tail, etc, anything that looks out of place.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:23 PM

Should I put a flashlight on the end of my barrel or on top of my scope? Currently, I have a Mini-Maglite taped around the bottom of the barrel with black electrical tape. Will this work for those dawn and dusk encounters? Oh yea, One more thing, I just bought 500 RWS Super-H pellets for my gun. They weigh 6.9 gr and are great! I love them, I am never going back to any other pellet.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

What we do.. grab the shotgun on a sunny day.. put in modified choke.. get 2 3 guys together.. and just walk over brushpiles... they'll be in there sunning themselves... it'll be a jump shot. but 2 bb's will take em down.