Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Magpie Shooting/trapping

Old 10-31-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Magpie Shooting/trapping

does anyone know how to make a trap for magpies or how to call them in and shoot em down as they come? i started killing them with the pellet gun, then the .22 and then the 12 gauge. It doesn't take long for them to learn what me reach is. Now, as soon as they see me or the truck their gone, they'll even spot me 200-300yrds and fly away, so it makes it nearly impossible to shoot em unless i make a hide or something.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Magpie Shooting/trapping

I hope that magpies aren't considered songbirds where you live ,
some states protect songbirds , even irritating ones .

If you try to draw them with a call and shoot them they will quickly learn this trick too . Bait will have the same result , magpies aren't stupid . If you want to keep them away long term your best bet is to attract a predator to the area that they fear such as a hawk or owl . Having a cat or two can also help reduce their numbers .
Old 10-31-2004, 07:43 PM

Ha, you're telling me. Damn things are the smartest animal i know, but as long as you can kill all that see or some then they shouldn't learn, dead animals don't share knowledge. Oh, and by the way, there are tons of hawks, cats and crows and everything and it doesn't scare them off. There's around 20 magpies now. I never knew magpies were considered a songbird, i wonder what deaf person gave them that title.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:52 PM

Magpie's may not be considered a song bird. But they are a protected bird species, under the the migratory bird treaty act. Title 50 of the code of federal regulations section 10.13.. And the fine's can be quite hefty if you get caught hunting them. You could lose all your hunting rights for up to 10yrs. plus pay a hefty fine, along with jail time.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote caller

Magpie's may not be considered a song bird. But they are a protected bird species, under the the migratory bird treaty act. Title 50 of the code of federal regulations section 10.13.. And the fine's can be quite hefty if you get caught hunting them. You could lose all your hunting rights for up to 10yrs. plus pay a hefty fine, along with jail time.
Then there's this to think about ... []
Old 11-01-2004, 07:13 AM

I use (to lethal effect) a larsen trap. Its a side/ top entry trap, if any one wants more detail email me.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

umm i dont think there protected up here in alberta where Sixgun is. lots of peopple shoot them.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:36 PM

A neighbor that lives near the farm made a cage like trap, he managed to kill 52 of them. that was 2 yrs ago and now their coming back. Liker gopher salyer said i don't think their protected up here, first off their not migratory from what i can deduce by their staying ALL winter.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ya gopher slayer is correct, they aren't protected up here, you can shoot em anytime and as many as you like (dislike[:-]). I for one can attest to their smarts...it's like they know when you have the ability to shoot one or not and will screw with you. If I'm carrying a bow, they'll be 15yds away, a shotgun...100 yds away, a rifle...1000 yds away. I hate them with a passion because they used to squak at my bedroom window at 5:00 am. Just get some bait (dead carcass of some sort if you live on a farm) and pick them off with the .22 from 50yds. KFC chicken bones work well also. Their stomachs take over from common sense when they see a free meal. JDinAB
Old 11-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

could always put a bunch of rice out near a body of water where they drink from. or make some rat poisoned peanut butter and bird seed feeders near where they congregate. just a thought

Quick Reply: Magpie Shooting/trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.