Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Has Anyone ever Had A Opossum.....

Old 10-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Has Anyone ever Had A Opossum.....

You could have took it to your inlaws house and let it go.

Or some one that has made you mad in the past.

Just Kidding Of Corse LOL
Old 10-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had anny possum problems...I did once have a problem with a pocket gopher. One night my dog was goin absolutely nuts outside and I turn on the light and there was a big ole pocket gopher trying to get into his kennel. I live in town so I went to the closet and got out my pellet gun. It took about 3 shots, but that was the only choice that I had.. I dont want any animals that may be rabid trying to get to where my dog can get to him!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:18 PM

I had a possum build a nest under the hood of a 55 buick I was restoring, The car hadnt been started in a couple of months and when I went to start it nothing so I opened the hood and got the scare of my life that sucker hissed and growled and bared its teeth I turned around grabbed a pitch fork and impaled it on it and then went over and dropped in the pen with my 3 Ridgebacks needless to say no more possum and the dogs were very happy.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

if you are gonna kill something you better eat it, otherwise leave them be. just to kill animal for the thrill of the kill is no better then murder.
I dont kill anything for the thrill of the kill but there are times when one has to kill. #1 self defense a hunting friend of mine shot a deer and had to track it by the time he found it a pack of coyotes already had it and they were baying him as he tried to back off they went for him and he shot 3 of them before they ran, had this of been you would you eat the yotes? Please understand that I am not trying to start anything with you and this is meant in a friendly way but your statement I felt was rather harsh.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:36 PM

I would have let the opposum go. If you think about it, it's not his fault opposums make nests. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I know they are nasty critters though. I saw one walking on the side of the road at a stop sign. I wanted to run it over. I decided not to because nothing would benefit from that situation. It's just their instincts.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:53 PM

I'm sorry that I may have offended anyone here with the opossum. But the way I see it, if the animal is doing personal damage to you. You have the right to do with the animal what you think is fair. Not only could it have this caused a fire in the engine compartment, and ruined the car. And what if someone else was driving the car, lets say my 85 yr.old mother, which is still very active, and still drives. And would have caused her an accident, and maybe killed her or someone else. Also I'm not counting the wire's that it chewed through. If someone else had to take the car in for a mechanic to work on it would have cost them a few dollars. So if all of you think it was cruel to kill the opossum. Like I said before sorry. But now I don't have the problem anymore!
Old 10-24-2004, 08:22 PM

I would of done the same thing coyote caller, it became your problem and you did what you thought best and no one has a right to blast you for what you did. I get so tired of these people who are perfect and would never kill an animal except to eat it, jeeze its an over sized rodent and good for nothing! I would not kill it if it didnt cause me any problems but damn it was under the hood of your car, just letting it go would only make it come back to your car or some one elses. You did right.