Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need Help Coyotes/Bobcats

Old 01-01-2002, 04:36 PM

Default Need Help Coyotes/Bobcats

My dad and i have been going over to our farm. And we have been putting our ducks and geese we shoot in a spot after we clean them. ANd the bobcats have been going in there daily. My dad has seen the bobcats at the beginning the cedars twice in the evening. I dont know when the bobcats will go in there. And heres the catch, There is a big tom that has went in there and marked his territory. He has drug all the ducks and geese away and in one big pile. When do you think all the bobcats go to the dead ducks and geese? Is there anyway i can fool this big tom cat?

The coyotes go in there every once in a while. I seen there tracks in the snow th eother day when i was over there. They moved alot when we got our snow. I went out that eveing and called and didsnt see a dang thing. So far ive had about 12 stands and havent seen one coyote or bobcat this whole break. We seen a coyote that had been eating on a coyote a guy threw out by the rode on our place. we stopped and i got my calls out and started calling to see what he would do. And sure enough he came walking towards us and he knew we were there. SO surely my calling is good? ANy suggestions on the coyotes/bobcats? Thanx all for paying attention!
Old 01-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Help Coyotes/Bobcats

one week my not be enough time to determine if the place is any good.coyote and bobcats alike have ranges that they travel on.depending on how large there range is it may take some time before they come back.another possibilty could be that your hunting over bait and a predator will approach that bait very carefully,exspecialy the bobcat.they could be winding you or picking your movement before they get close enough for you to see.most predators will work a bait pile at night so its very easy for them to scope out the situation before entering.i dohn't have alot of experience with bobcats but i do know there sneakers,just like a house cat.they will stalk there pray very slowly.you have to be extremly tuned in to the slightest movment out in the brush.both the coyotes and bobcats will aproach the bait from down wind,you must position your self so they can not wind you.they become accustom to this and will wait till your not there to come into the bait.personaly i like to set a bait pile so i can sit along ways off(200 to 300 yards when possible)this way theres less chance of them winding or spotting you.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Like coyoteseeker said. They stalk. Both of the cats I have got this year just accidentally showed up when I was deer hunting and they are quiet. I couldn't hear or see the 2nd one til he was only about 8-10 yards away.The way it sounds, trapping them would be sure-fire.So what I would do if you got all them birds, take either a duck or maybe even a sparrow and hang it from a tree. Try to encourage a direction of approach so you dont have to set a ton of traps. I usually take a bunch of surrounding grass and sticks and make a small,natural look barrier. If you already have a spot to hang one of these birds with only one way in,SUPER.Just set a few traps near and under the bird. Also a bunch of feathers in a hole in the ground will work.

Without passion.....Why bother?
Old 01-01-2002, 07:09 PM

I just talked to my dad about trapping again. And hes gonna start doing it again. I never thought about trapping them things. Thats whats good about being on this board! ANd my older bro who is 18 said that hed help us run them.

My bro shot a doe in that special season. And im thinking about going at putting it out in the middle of a wheat field. Or i can put it down in a creek bottom. the bad thing about the creek bottom is they can see us when we come up. but up in the field they wont be able to see us go in. Now im pumped that my dad said that we can start trapping again. he use to always do that when my parents got married. ANd im really glad hes starting to do it again cause he loved doing it. Thanx guys.

P.S. Now all i gotta do is talk my dad into letting me buy a 223.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-01-2002, 09:58 PM

so your saying that if we trap a bobcat and and a coyote comes along and makes the thing mad. And we show up a while later and the bobcat is mad that we got ourself in a big bind? Like a p*ssed off bobcat? Well im sure we will take the .270 along though.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-02-2002, 11:11 AM

All we are doing is trying to keep the pop down at our farm. pelt damage is no matter. thanx bow!
Old 01-02-2002, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Think of coyotes and bobcats as simple cats and dogs and think how they get along. I would say though your best bet is trapping with those bobcats.