Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting in new york.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Spike

Default coyote hunting in new york.

I have never hunted coyote before. This year will be my first. I was wondering what's the best way to call in a yote is and how long should I expect to see one after calling. Type of call ? Other info that may help. The land I hunt is mostly forest in sullivan county.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:42 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: coyote hunting in new york.

read all about it here...

Bark at the Moon Coyote Club
Old 09-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Spike

Thank's for that link.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the link also im just geting into hunting coyote to i usally see them when deer hunting and shoot them but now im gonna try to just get them
Old 09-27-2004, 11:20 AM

Its not as hard as it seems. Calling where a Coyote can hear you is the best hint I can give you. You will think at times that you are doing something wrong, but there just aren't any critters where you are at! Coyotes like brush. Find the thicker spots and call so that when they come out you can see them as they travel to get down wind of you. If they are within earshot of you in the east, they will usualy show up very quick. From within the first minute to about 15 minutes but be ready when you first start. I've also had them come out of the cover and sit down and watch me. You have to realy keep your eyes open. My favorite setup is to call from one side of a field towards the brush on the other side.
Have fun,
Tim
Old 09-27-2004, 08:57 PM

I haven't called in quite awhile but I used to do alot of it so many years back. And was pretty successful. For coyotes all I can say is they have to be in the area to respond. And early morning and evening are the best times. Coyotes seem to be more light sensitive than fox so its harder to shine them in the dark. But if you are going to hunt in the dark for them, really wash out your light beam so its weak. If they keep blinking and turning there heads alot it still is affecting them. Of course make sure you have a red lense for your light.