HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   22 lr (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/70467-22-lr.html)

killer243 08-26-2004 06:36 PM

22 lr

i have a couple 22's however i am looking for one that is accurate enough to shoot squirrels out around 75-100 yards. and the price for the rifle can't be much over 400. i have a leupold 4x40 scope i plan on topping it off with

the area i hunt dosen't allowed the use of semi- 22's for hunting.

usens 08-26-2004 07:07 PM

RE: 22 lr

i picked up a savage 2 mark very actreck its a bolte action for under a 100.00 works for me out of the box
ss for spelling

TheBassMan 08-27-2004 09:28 AM

I am looking for the same thing........cant have a semi, thats why i think i have setteld on the Ruger 77/22...its a sweet looking little gun

NUMBERFARMER 08-27-2004 08:49 PM

I have owned two 77/22s and both have been very accurate right off the shelf. The triggers were a little stiff, but other than that they were great.:eek:

hoyt14 08-28-2004 11:13 AM

I too bought a 77/22 magnum, and I have had nothing but luck with it. Right out of the box, I didn't even have a flyer, the first two rounds were touching at 30yards (shorts distance, but brand new) I have the Simmons 3 x 9 50mm on it, and couldn't be happier with a gun. This is by far my most cherished gun. I intend to shoot many squirrels with it. Now you asked about yardage?? Well the longest squirrel that I have gotten with it was 119 steps. It was down a old logging trail, sitting on a stump. and believe it or not there is very little drop at 100yards, now I haven’t target shot it past that do to lack of space in the woods that is even see able that far. It also is a very reliable gun. I had it out a few times last year, in some very cold weather, and she still fired every time. It has also been out in the rain, with mud and what not, but it still managed to perform. And I know that the mag seems like a lot of gun for squirrel, but I was one where when I saw a squirrel, I shot. With this you have to take a head shot, or loose A LOT of meat. this may not be what you're after from that stand point, but I found that the patience is worth the wait, cuz waiting for that perfect shot for the cleanest of kills is very rewarding (especially at the distances you want). So in all honesty if you are looking for a long distance, flat shooting gun this is definitely the way to go. Plus the bolt action makes for a nice accurate stile vs. the auto. Good luck with your decision and along with the squirrels this year

-Hoyt

and if you are looking for one nasty @$$ round, that is very very accurate, the CCI TNT seems to be excellent, I’ve shot dozens of different kinds trying to find the best, and those seemed to be nothing short of. Rounds are going out around (2000-2500 FPS) if I remember right

dhhunting 08-28-2004 01:27 PM

I own a Ruger 77/22 it's a great gun. I have shot 5 shot groups that fit inside a dime at 25yds. It was with CCI mini-mag HP. The trigger pull is very stiff. When sighted in for Rem. Win. and CCI HP then when i shot the CCI Stingers they shot about 8in. high at 50yds then about 4in. at 100yds then about 6in low at 150yds, where the other ammo was shooting low at 100yds. Those Stingers could be a great long range bullet. I never shoot over 70yds when i am hunting.