Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote range

Old 01-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default coyote range

how far do they travel in a day.
Old 01-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyote range

i think that depends on where they live.at one time there was two distinct packs of coyotes around me here in ny.the territory line was the large creek that runs thru the middle of my property,give or take a couple hundred yards.both packs had a range of 8 to 10 square miles and it would take them 2 to 4 days to circle this range,most times around 3 days.i watched and hunted both these packs for many years before they finaly moved on.these figures are fairly accurate for these two groups of coyotes.this is a populated area with heavy traffic at times.alot of people moveing around except during the hours between 2:30 am to 5:00 am.this is when they were most active and when i was out chasing them around.coyotes out west will have a much greater range for alot of different reasons.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:17 PM

Holy crap you were out that early!? Guys thats a DEDICATED hunter right there!
Old 01-02-2002, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like coyoteseeker said, I think that it does matter where they live, the amount of food available, and the density of the coyotes.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

TO confirm coyoteseeker and Howler's posts, it depends on how far a pack has to travel to find something to eat. If you were a coyote, more or less like a person (lazy by nature but has to get up to eat), if they can cover only a mile and find enough to eat near your home everyday, then why travel any further, but if you can't find anything within 5 miles of the only safe place around to live, then you'd have to travel that far, it all depends on cover and food supply.

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!