HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Saw a scary thing...well just sort of disgusting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/69142-saw-scary-thing-well-just-sort-disgusting.html)

sot_II 08-15-2004 12:48 AM

Saw a scary thing...well just sort of disgusting

Ever see a bot fly larve in a squirrel. Until this year, I had never seen one...evidently these things "drop off" in the fall but up close they are freakish.

there wasa a hole in the back of the squirrel that I was looking at and this small "worm" would pop it's head out, then slide back in....think aliens but the squirrel just keeps living and not really paying any attention to the thing.

Bot fly

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-15-2004 09:01 AM

RE: Saw a scary thing...well just sort of disgusting

I thought Bot flies lived in the jungles over in asia?

sot_II 08-15-2004 10:51 AM

Maybe they do but they also live in the US...in droves. Very bad for horses.

Weasel 08-15-2004 11:57 PM

I found a jackrabbit curled up on the ground once. It was still alive, but appeared near death. It had a bot fly larva in it's head. The scene really gave me the creeps. I put the jack out of his misery and killed the larva in one swift stomp to the head.

Rick James 08-16-2004 02:32 PM

I saw one in a cottontail that my friends dog came home with. It actually had like 3 in it. They were all about the size of my thumb and quite disgusting.........[:'(]

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-16-2004 09:48 PM

never knew we had them here ive only seen them on tv I even saw some guy on the discovery channel i believe who got one in him over in asia or something and he let it live in him till i believe the pain became unbarrable or something I cant really remember but doctors had to remove it surgicly(sp?) i think it was on his stomach but it was pretty big and he was a very very wierd guy he named it george and he totes it around in a jar now

MarineStud 08-21-2004 08:22 AM

you guys think that gross seeing these fly's in wild animals. about 6 years ago my rat terrier(sp?) got one in her neck, we took her to the vet and that cut it out and she had a hole the size of a golf ball in her neck. the cool thing is though is it left no scar and you can't even tell she ever had one in her neck

HuntnBama 08-25-2004 06:16 PM

Here in Alabama I've always heard them called "wolves",don't know or have I ever heard the technical name for them.Ol' timers say they leave at the first frost and thats always been they case for me.If they get in a dog you pour a little turpintine on itand it will cure it right up in a day or two,of course it burns the dog a little at the time.I've seen them in early season squirrels and rabbits before a frost,but after a frost they leave or drop out for some reason.

squirrelsteve 08-25-2004 08:27 PM

thos sound nasty nasty nasty,,,you got a pic of what one looks like?

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-25-2004 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntnBama

Here in Alabama I've always heard them called "wolves",don't know or have I ever heard the technical name for them.Ol' timers say they leave at the first frost and thats always been they case for me.If they get in a dog you pour a little turpintine on itand it will cure it right up in a day or two,of course it burns the dog a little at the time.I've seen them in early season squirrels and rabbits before a frost,but after a frost they leave or drop out for some reason.
the turpentine actually suffocates the fly they also say you can out a raw steak on it and the bot fly will move into it or fingernail polish will also help suffocate it