Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

hog hunting

Old 08-11-2004, 08:30 PM

Default hog hunting

I am just curious to see how many of yall are hog hunting out there. Ive been hog huntin the southeast for about 15 yrs now and i am just having a blast with feral hogs. SC is eat up with em. As well as my native land of southern ga. Just curious to see whose doing it.
thanks
Old 08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hog hunting

I go every chance I get i got a nice 175 pounder last year in south fla.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

all we have here asfar as hogs are Javelina you would be toting a trophy if you shot one that weighed 50 lbs. lol nothing like the ferrel hogs back in MIssouri, thats where i am from just moved to the southwest a few months back.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:54 PM

i live north florida and been doin it for only one year and havent got one cuz are area isnt quite stocked up enough....should i kill my first one with a bow or be safe with a 308.??

shootr
Old 08-18-2004, 01:58 PM

The ranch I hunt in central Texas just started seeing hogs this past fall, sure one or 2 a year but this last fall we saw groups of them and much more sign around the ranch. So. . . once Deer season ended I started going after the pigs, got 8 this spring. I stopped using my .270 with a scope and switched over to a .357 brush gun. No need for a scope at 15 yards. While not the biggest or best caliber, I got a good deal on the gun and have not had any pigs wander off after being introduced to it.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shootr mcgavvin

i live north florida and been doin it for only one year and havent got one cuz are area isnt quite stocked up enough....should i kill my first one with a bow or be safe with a 308.??

shootr
what ever your comfortable with, and depending on the distance to, you can do it with either one though so Just pick which one youd like to use the most and go fo it
Old 08-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

back in missouri I use either my marlin 44 mag rifle with handloads loaded with a Barnes X pistol bullet or my marlin 30-30 with handloads loaded with a 150 grain barnes X bullet or I use 170 grain remington core lokt factory ammo. I even killed a few with a 357 revolver with handloads loaded with a 180 grain Hornady XTP/HP.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

You have no idea how much I hog hunt. We have had so many hogs and it has been so much fun we started our hog hunting outfitter. We have had people from all over come adn hunt. check it out
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 AM
KCB

I hunt in Red River County, Texas and also in Cass Co., TX and kill several hogs a year. I'm sure we're like Texasaggie in that we're covered up with them and they are a blast to hunt. Good eatin' too. There is nothing finer than jalapino cheese smoked sausage...
Old 03-16-2005, 07:39 AM

I am thinking of my first hog hunt next year but I like to make this a challenge. Anyone ever consider using a .45 cal cap/ball revolver at close range or is that way to under gunned?
Thanks and good hunting.

Quick Reply: hog hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.