Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time trapping....

Old 01-05-2002, 11:13 PM

Default First time trapping....

Well Wednesday evening after school we went to our "graveyard" for ducks and geese and every other thing we shoot. So we put a couple ducks and geese in there. then come back the next day with my brothers doe. The ducks and geese we put in earlier are gone. Feathers everywhere. Bobcats have just torn the place up. A big Tomcat had been in there along with a bunch of other smaller bobcats. The tom cat marked his territory and stuff. ground is all dug up. We set the deer out. The deer is still a little froze not much. We drug her out of the truck and under the trees.WE head back to the house and come back out friday evening. And guess what. Them things drug that 120lb FD doe down to the creek and they had the thing already ate to the ribs. Pretty much all the meat was gone except for on its head. So we take it back up to our little pitt. And we put 5 traps out around in this place. And the bobcats have just been thick in this place. So we go back and check the traps saturday morning after our not so lucky duck hunting adventure. And theres a coyote and a possum in your traps. This coyote wasnt a big one. But it still took 3 shots to the head with my .22 to kill it. Well that was the my first day ever of trapping with my dad. My dad has trapped for a long time. He did it through HS and College and quit after college. And i could tell he was excited tuesday night when i asked him if he wanted to trap over at our farm.Lets just put it this way. he knows what he was doing!LOL! I learned a couple pointers from him. I had fun.

O yea. ANd one of our traps we had set wascovered with dirt friday when we put it out.then this morning me and my bro went our and saw where a coyote or bobcat or somethng had went up to it and sniffed it or something. cause one side of the trap looked like it was blown off. there was no wind the other night. My dad said that some of the older coyotes will be real smart and do that ? But i have no idea. There has been no trappin on this place ever that i know of. There has been very little preditor hunting on this place. i have no idea!

This happen all at 1/5/02
Old 01-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time trapping....

Cool deal stealthArcher. Were you guys using a road killed deer? or were these animals that had already been skinned out?

Good luck with them cats, they are pretty difficult to get in on the traps. If you guys hadn't, I would suggest steaming your traps for a good 15-30 minutes to get the human and as much of the metallic scent off as possible. Also, try spraying them with a scent lok spray, or some type of cover scent.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2002, 11:22 PM

The doe was killed by my bro in one of the special doe seasons they had. I figured we need to spray some cover sent ont hem things.

You have any idea what that was that messed with our other trap?Thx
Old 01-06-2002, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-06-2002, 07:41 AM

LOL Bow hes more excited about it then iam!! I got my pics taken with them and everything lol. We are fixin to go back out and check them. So you all think hangin a dead sparrow or brid over one of them will fool the bobcats?someone said that on here. I think it was duck killer. not sure though.If so ill try it sometime.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

i don't know if any body else noticed but stealth said"three shots with a 22 to kill it"no dought this was at point blank range.now if any body is asking will a 22 work for hunting coyotes?theres your answer.would agree that it was a coyote sniffing your traps.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:35 AM

WE went out and checked them this morning and all we had was another dang possum. O well. LOL. But we covered that trap up yesterday and seen this morning where a coyote had walked around it. Not only one but 2 coyotes did. And then another trap the coyotes done the same thing they did to that other one. So we covered it up again. Do they sell some kind of scents(spray or the kind that will drip) that we can put on like the trigger? Thanx. And yes you all. Dont hunt coyotes with a 22.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:26 PM

As I understand this, you are just shooting game and throwing it away, do you ever eat any of it or do you just use it for target practice and then throw it in your "grave yard"? I'm sure you can find other bait for your traps.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:43 PM

whoa, i cant believe you think we wouldnt eat what we kill. We eat everything that we put in that place. WE put ducks and geese in that and the deer we shoot. we dont eat what we trap. I dont know anyone in here thats eats a coyote. I dont know if you can eat a bobcat. YES, we do eat the meat on our ducks and geese and everything else we put in there.

Anyway what duck killer said the otehr day about tieing up a bird above the trap. Does it work? Thanx
Old 01-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: First time trapping....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.