Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 I need help IDENTIFYING this animal ASAP >

I need help IDENTIFYING this animal ASAP

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I need help IDENTIFYING this animal ASAP

Old 07-07-2004, 05:35 AM

Default RE: I need help IDENTIFYING this animal ASAP

I have the same Fox+Cat combo living behind my house in the woods of a neighboring farm in Carrboro, NC..... I'm not allowed to fire a weapon or even shoot a bow in this town of peaceniks..... and am interested in having this thing trapped before it kills my border collie, who likes to face off with it..... this weird freak of nature, red/grey Fox Cat combo beast is very aggressive, moves quickly, and barks with a raspy 3 bark cadence.... if interested in trapping this thing, please e-mail me. It will definitely come out in the light of day, is easily confronted by just walking in its domain.... may have rabies or babies etc. This Fox+Cat has a bad habit of running around the neighborhood chasing any dog it sees.... I've noticed a decrease in the squirrel and even the racoon population since its arrival, a definite benefit, but the rabies risk etc. has me concerned. The local town Animal Control people are useless.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:18 PM

Depending on local laws, if it is not a protected species, you can trap it or kill it. You might want to give your state biologist a call and see what he has to say about it.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Do they look any similar to this????

This is a "Cacomixtle" or "Ring Tailed Cat" (Bassariscus astutus) this is an endemic animal that lives from central Mexico to Southern U.S.

Their offsprings are much like the ones you described in your post, brownish and with dark stripes in their body, as they grow up the stripes almost dissapear and the tail grows and gets its distinctive black and white stripes.

In any case, it looks like somebody have it like a pet and got loose arond your area, they doesnt live that far north since they donĀ“t like the cold.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:18 PM

Did the animal look something like this ? This is a unknown animal that has been seen in north carolina last year.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 PM

Does it look at all like this

Old 07-21-2004, 04:17 PM

i think i'd shoot it so i could get a closer look ...just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:15 PM

Someone please kill this SOB.....i want to know what it is...i am curious
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM

set up a few game cameras and try to get a pic find out what it eats and use it against it to trap the B*$t@*d
Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 PM

curious on that lil fur ball animal you describe in your post & i dunno what it is.......good luck on knowing what it is
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 PM

That is a coyote with a bad case of mange. From the looks of her belly, probably carrying a litter of pups. Coyotes look like this with mange.

Quick Reply: I need help IDENTIFYING this animal ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.