Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to get rid of beavers

Old 05-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Spike

Default How to get rid of beavers

Good afternoon---We have beavers that are ruining our greenfields by flooding the area near them---Does anyone know how to rid the area of beavers and their dams/homes--- WE tried tearing them up with shovels and pick axes and shooting the dams with shotguns---Broke throught so water is flowing, but know that it will be a matter of days before the beavers get abckt o work---Any help is appreciated---
Old 05-23-2004, 03:49 PM

Default RE: How to get rid of beavers

removal of the beaver is your only option. Hire a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator, or local beaver trapper able to obtain the needed permits or learn to trap them yourself. Destroying the dam does nothing as far as getting them to leave the area. Sorry I couldnt give the answer you wanted to hear, they are impossible to get rid of short of trapping or snaring. When you take into account the price of the damage they can do, hiring a professional doesnt hurt as much.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: GrillmasterToo

Broke throught so water is flowing, but know that it will be a matter of days before the beavers get abckt o work---
More like an hour. Once they see that the dam has sprung a leak they are on it like a case of measles. They will have the dam fixed up asap. I agree that the only option is to exterminate the toothy critters. Try making a hole in the dam like you stated with a shovel then wait there in the evening with that shotgun. they will be by in the evening sometime to check things out. Opening the dam in order to let the water down is basically a waste of time. Talk to your wardens about getting explosives in order to blow the dams. We usually have to blow the dams every few years on our land. Once the dam is blown the water will go down drastically but you have to kill the bevears off because if not the dam will be built back up in 3 weeks.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you know someone that will come trap them for you....my advice is a .22 to the head. Tearing up the dam won't do anything, they will definitely rebuild it.
I like beavers and they are amazing animals, but when they start tearing up my property, sorry...they have to go.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:25 PM

.22 to the head or traps
Old 05-25-2004, 01:07 AM

the trapper here told us to use a bigger gun than a .22 because they will go down and not come back up and the can still be alive and well. we've just been shooting them every time we see them.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:16 AM

Take hiawatha's advice and blow the dams. Then, set up a post and shoot every beaver you see. Depending on state regs, you'll probably have to get a nuicance permit, but this should be no problem. The idea is to keep them in check, this isn't a one time fix all. If the area is attractive to beaver, they will always come back.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I would wait till a full moon and shoot them at night and set some snares on their slides and runs if it is legal where you are.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:40 PM

Blasting caps or a 7mm mag
Old 05-30-2004, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: young_gun

the trapper here told us to use a bigger gun than a .22 because they will go down and not come back up and the can still be alive and well. we've just been shooting them every time we see them.
a .22 will work just fine on a beaver as long as its a head shot. The main thing is not to skimp on the ammo. My favorite is cci stinger hollow points or second the remington yellow jackets. These rounds will do the job everytime if the shot is well placed.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of beavers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.