Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Frog gigging?

Old 05-10-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Frog gigging?

Does anybody do it? What are some strategies? how do i find where the frogs are? i could use any advise. thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Frog gigging?

seth07,

The way we do it is just start going to ponds we have permission to gig in and listen for the bulls. If we hear them we gig two different ways, if it's a clean bank we walk the bank, best with a friend, one does the gigging and the other shines the light. We use handheld flashlights and the type you can wear on your head.

The best way, is to gig from a jon boat or canoe. If we are using a jon boat we sometimes us a trolling motor. If canoe, we just paddle and move quiet without bumping the canoe with the paddle.

We have the best luck giging from a boat/canoe. What we have learned is, when walking the bank, the frogs siting on the bank can feel the vibrations or hear us, a lot jump in the water. I believe when doing it from some type of boat, they hold tight longer. Probably because they know the danger is in the water and sit tight longer.

As for as checking ponds at night, we listen for frogs croaking at night and drive in that direction til we fiqure out where they are at. You'll be surprised at how far away you can hear the frogs if it's a still and quiet night. If we have never giged that pond, we go back the next day and ask for permission. Never had much problem geting permission to do it.

We use 3 and 4 prong gigs on telescoping poles. Have used homemade poles over the years, but the metal telescoping ones are lighter and easier to store when not in use.

One other thing we take with us, is a fish basket, the type with a spring loaded top to put the frogs in. If we're walking a bank, we use a fish stringer, the type with a ring on one end and a sharp metal point on the other end. We just push the sharp end thru the frogs bottom jaw and thru the ring and carry them like you would a string of fish. Carry plenty of mosquito repellant, and watch for snakes.

It's a blast, particularly when you have a couple of buddies along.

Hope this helped some.

dog1
Old 05-12-2004, 05:58 AM

we do the same.we walk the ponds,except I walk in the water and shine to the bank. the frogs set looking toward the water and you can see there whith belly shinning.
in the river we use the boat and one guy runs the boat the other does the sticking.
we use an ice chest with a hole cut in the lid.( you take a large can and cut a hole in the lid that just fits the can.cut the bottom of the can like a slice of pie.)
don't cut the slices off,just push the points down a little,then when you push a frog into the hole the points will open a little but the frog can't get back out.works real well.

good luck,let us know what time supper wiil be when you get them skinned.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:49 PM

I always shoot them with my bow. But, when i do gig i just walk the bank with a light and a friend.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man,

I probably haven't gigged in 2 or 3 years. I oughtta get back out and do it again.

Me and a friend usually go to public lakes and water down by the river. We try to find the "snakiest" looking water. If there ain't 3 feet of algea on the top of the water we usually pass it up. Believe it or not, some alligators are around there too...and we've gigged our share of cottonmouths. If you don't like snakes, you probably shouldn't go.

We use head-mounted flashlights, usually the kind you'd buy from raccoon hunting places on our heads. We'd hop in a canoe with the poles(10, 12, 14 ft) and gigs (homemade usually, 4 or 5 prong) and patrol the bank. The frogs eyes glow a green when you spot them, usually right on the edge in the water or on logs and stuff. Once you have them in your light, keep the light on them. It blinds them and you can usually get pretty close to them before you gig em. You have to be in stealth mode though or they'll take off.

The closer you can get that gig, the better your chances, so the lights really help.

Now you've made me wanna get out and go frog-gigging again. Thanks. Good luck at em.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:40 AM

I'm lazy, I usually use a bow or .22. You can get em during the day too
Old 05-28-2004, 08:28 PM

froman thats an awesome picture where is that?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:16 PM

I alway use a pellet gun.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:01 PM

Haven't done any froggin since I moved to Arkansas, but when I lived in Louisiana we used to go all the time. Gigging isn't legal in Louisiana. You have to use a spring loaded grab on the end of a long stick, which by the way doesn't work very well.

We would use a flat bottom boat with a trolling motor, the brightest headlights we could find (the kind you wear on your head), and believe it or not a skulling paddle. You know, the short ones about 2 - 2 1/2 ft long. The flat bottom boat allows you to sit way up front and you can nose it right up to the bank (unlike a canoe). When we found one, we would blind them with the headlight and head the boat straight into the bank at a fairly brisk pace. As soon as you get within range you just swat em a good and hard with that skulling paddle. Flattens em out & knocks them out. We would then put them in a fish basket or a potato sack & tie up the end. After about ten minutes or so, they would come back to as smacking them with the paddle doesn't kill them or damage them in any way....just knocks them out for a while. That way, if you're out all night you don't have to worry about them spoiling.

Many times we would just grab them with one hand. You've got to be quick though, and at least in Louisiana, you got to keep a good eye out for the snakes. Don't want to be grabbing no cotton-mouth.....LOL

Wow....this thread has really brought back some good memories. I'm going to have to get out there and try some Arkansas frog smackin....LOL

firstshot
Old 06-17-2004, 02:14 PM

Used to gig from the canoe with a 10 foot bamboo pole. One person paddling, one gigging. Also a great way to catch skate in shallow water.

But, then when the gig broke we just changed over to using a crab net on a pole and a burlap sack. No more bleeding frogs and you could usually get the net over them before they hopped.

Quick Reply: Frog gigging?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.