Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 What traps for Bobcats and or coyotes? >

What traps for Bobcats and or coyotes?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What traps for Bobcats and or coyotes?

Old 04-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What traps for Bobcats and or coyotes?

Hello, haven't posted here very much. For the first time in 5 years, I will have the weekends off during the school year, which will allow me to spend a lot more time in the outdoors. Here in Nevada it is hard to get big game tags, so I need something else to keep me busy through the fall and winter. I would like to get into trapping bobcats and coyotes (about all we have around here). I'm not sure what size traps would be necessary for the critters. I haven't ever done trapping mainly due to time constraints, but would like to start. What other tools would be necessary for trapping? Any help would be great, thanks a lot!
Old 04-25-2004, 11:13 AM

Default RE: What traps for Bobcats and or coyotes?

As far as traps are concerened I would recomend #3 coilsprings. A trowel for digging and a dirt sifter plus an assortment of lures. Check with your local DNR for any trap size restrictios etc. check out www.trapperman.com for more indepth info on sets etc. Great bunch of guys/gals there with a wealth of knowlege, many professionals there too to help and mentor. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM

I AGREE. THE #3 COILSPRING IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE
Old 04-26-2004, 08:33 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Look at the MB-650 from Minnestota Brand Trap products. A great trap, they are built strong, have an oversize pan, great for beginners and a coytote can't tear them up. They are ready to go right out of the box, just run them through the dishwasher and speed dip them. The Jim Digger trowell is a great tool, you will need a two pound hammer with a digger welded on the back of it to dig trap beds. I use and like earth anchors instead of stakes, much easier to use and you can carry a lot more of them. A couple books that would be helpful would be The flat set and its Varitations and The Hole Set and Its Variations, both by Charles Dobbins, Coyote Fever by Ray Milligan, and Lone Wolfer by James Lucero. They all discuss sets, locations, and equipment. The link is for the trapping supply business that I use, they are great people. If you call them Tim will discuss anything you want. He is real helpful with baits and lures and how to use them.

http://www.minntrapprod.com/