Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

[Deleted]

Old 02-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: N.Y. Yote Reg. Q?

you have one other option here in ny,in the shot gun only zone you can use a center fire rifle as long as there is no open deer season.this includes bow and muzzle loader.you can even use it at night but with out the aid of lights of any kind.if this is not an option then you should use the shot gun.with the 28 inch modified choke barrel you can expect ranges out to 40 yards,full choke will be slightly farther.i would stay with the modified choke,the full is a little tight if there right ontop of you.use magnum 4's,in 2 3/4 or 3 inch.the copper plated bufferd turkey loads in mag #4's work good.the buffering helps hold a good pattern,this gives you a little more range.the copper plateing helps keep the shot in full round form,this translates into deeper penatration.what every you use go to the range and pattern them on paper out to 50 yards.this will give you a good idea of your max range with what ever load you use.if the modified choke spreads the pattern out to much from your gun then pattern test the full choke.the hand gun you could carry it with you and use it if your accurate with it.the 22 rimfires,leave them home if your targeting coyotes.how close they come to you depends on the type of terrain your in.wide open areas they tend to stay out a long way,sometimes hundreds of yards.as they circle you they will use there eyes untill they can use there nose.in thick country there vision is limited(just like yours is)on a calm day they will tend to circle in closer to the caller,generaly under 100 yards.if its windy they will stay out farther.the buddy system is a good tactic to use for shotgun coyote,night or day.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 11:06 PM

i say a .223 tc contender or encore with a scope would be your best option even during the deer seasons.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:23 PM

rackmaster there is nothing in the regs that addresses rifles, but it also doec not say that you can not use arifle during the day.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd find a good .357 or .45 colt handgun, with a 8+" barrel, and glass it, then have at them yotes, that is, if you venture out of the centerfire zone.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

Old 02-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

just like huntal said there is nothing in the regs guide about rifle(centerfire)i ask two different E.C.O.'s about it and they both gave me the same answer that i spelled out in my earlyer post.i just got back from vacation,thats why i didn't answer sooner.