Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

how do you coyote hunt?

Old 03-07-2004, 04:09 PM

Default how do you coyote hunt?

I was wondering how you coyote hunt becuase i was planning to start this year. my friend has gone out but he hasn't had any luck so please tell me how you hunt them.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:28 PM

Default RE: how do you coyote hunt?

i want to get into yote hunting to. i have been told that low wet spots is a good place after a rain, dose any one know if their is any truth to this.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:53 PM

how do u wanna hunt them ?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:50 AM

I just want to find a spot where there are many coyotes and they will come in.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Well coyotes move alot at night and what u need to do is try to find a place where u know coyotes are then just sit down and call them if nothing comes in a half hour its useless .. move to a new spot and just keep calling but most of them like heavy cover , swampy areas !
Old 03-08-2004, 05:01 PM

Well, time of day doesn't really matter. As far as terrain, it depends on where you are and whats available to the coyotes. Set up an electronic call with a distress sound and call for about 15 minutes, if you don't have any takers, move a ½ mi and set up again.

You can find tons more info on the predatormasters.com site and you can ask your questions in the forums there... Whole lot more help...
Old 03-09-2004, 01:49 PM

Dogs are the way to go if you want to invest a lot of time and effort into it, not to mention money! Nothing like hearing a bellowing hound hot on the trail of a coyote, fox or bobcat though with.
What we've found is there are some spots better than others. Some swamps that hold coyotes better than others. Some swamps they cruise right through. Even the best swamps we hunt sometimes don't hold coyotes for several days then the dogs will run two at one time or two different chases will start from the same swamp. Just like calling time afield, the more set ups you do calling the more chances you'll have. We've found wind to be important and scent control as well (which when your handling dogs you refer back to watching the wind). I watched a coyote come down into range and unaware I was there as he trotted out ahead of the dogs. As soon as he hit where my track crossed he didn't even pick up his head, just turned and went from a trot to a run out away from where my track was.... dogs eventually caught up to him though! Now I shoot them before they cross my tracks. Enjoy, Juniorpc
Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

read all about it here...Bark at the Moon Coyote Club