Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what caliber?

Old 02-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what caliber?

what caliber would you guys choose for foxes and yotes?? i have some fields and open land to hunt....but shots should be under 200yards.....but i dont know if i can get a caliber that wont blow a fox in half and still be enough for coyotes....i plan on buying a caller and a rifle for next year and hunting them both....i can find used rifles in any caliber which i plan on buying.......ive bought many used guns and all have treated me well......my dad knows how to check them out for me.....and he said i can buy one if i want.....i just dont want to go too expensive because i have a car to pay for so all my extra moneys going towards that......but i can hide a few bucks here and there and buy my toys.......and i have a while to save if needed.....but what caliber would be good for me??? thanx.....ive never shot either........
Old 02-01-2004, 12:27 PM

Default RE: what caliber?

223 0r 22-250,something popular,where the ammo is cheap.You can put some good hrs in practiceing and it wont hurt your wallet as much.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:28 PM

If you reload, thats a bonus.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-01-2004, 03:56 PM

.22 hornet! [8D]
Old 02-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.....for the time being ill look for a cheap quality 223......ill know the rifle when i see it.....ill stop in the gun shop once a week or so to look....im not putting big money into this gun....a few hundred bucks with the scope and all....im going to build a custom mauser in 22-250 after college or whatever i do....i dont know ill see what i can afford.....i really want to get the car paid off so i know im not going to spend alot initally....maybe find something that needs some tlc that i can handle.....wood work or something...but ill make sure it works fine and has a good bore.....should be hard to find at the gunshop i goto...my friends dad owns it and he buys alot of used because theres not alot of money around here and noone really buys really expensive stuff....he will order new...and keep a few new on the shelfs...but alot of his stuff is military or used....and me and my dad learned how to judge the used guns....so ill see what i can find.....any advice on scope power???? i could always put my 3x9x40 leupold on it and put peeps on the mauser.....id actually love a reason to do that so that might be an option.....i dont know if dad would let me do such a thing....i dont plan on using the mauser much next year anyways....i think ill carry the flinter alot more....but any advice on scope power??? ive never hunted these critters......it sounds fun and would give me something to do in the winter.......thanx alot
Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Spike

.22 Hornet Took a coyote a couple of weeks ago at 138 yards. I feel confident with this gun up to 200 yards. A friend of mine just bought a Thompson Center Encore with a 22 Hornet barrel. Not real loud either .
Old 02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look into the savages in 223 rem. Cheap to shoot, and accurate.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:37 PM

new england firearms and H&R make some nice shooters in a .223 right in your price range and it will be a new one. they are single shots. one shot one kill.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good heavy bbl .22-250 would suit you well, you'd be capable of much more than the 200yrds you mentioned, but you wouldn't be overgunned either. Or you might opt for a .223, finding cheap surplus ammo good enough to hunt to 200yrds isn't hard, it's nasty as all get out, and I'd never shoot it in any of my guns (except a $50 SKS in 7.62x39mm), but lots of guys buy target rifles in .223 just so they can get the ammo cheap, go figure, like putting 87octane in a indy car.

Quick Reply: what caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.