Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirels?

Old 01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Here is a picture of the red squirrel

NC is home to 7 species of squirrel. One of which is the white squirrels of Brevard, NC.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Here is a picture of the red squirrel

Moral of the story: you aren't going to eat a 'wrong' squirrel, but you probably want to get the biggest ones possible. [8D]
Old 01-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: squirels?

Well in virginia, the red squirrel, or pine squirrel is tiny like the one pictured above. We have greys which are bigger. Then there are fox squirrels that can be as big as groundhogs.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

our reds are nasty ,tough, pine-tree-tastin-rotten little creeps that are just glorified -tree climbin' chipmunks. In NY you can hunt them year round, no season no limit kill em all says the game dept.
the only big limbrats we have are greys and fox squirells, and the greys are tasty( never ate a fox squirrel) . the fox "rats" ive seen( im a taxidermist) look exactly like red treerats but MUCH bigger.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mistake coyote caller, here in Oklahoma we call fox squirrels reds. Never gave a thought about an actualy species being called reds. We only have fox and greys here. Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have reds and bigger grey ones here in my part of new york. The red ones will chase the greys all over the place. I dont think we have fox squirrels, if we do, i dont know about it I havent eaten either of them, but i plan on hunting them soon.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys that aint hunted them yet are missing out on some good times. Not only are they fun to hunt but taste great, just fry them up like chicken or a porkchop, get some biscuits,gravy, potatoes, and eggs and you have an excellent meal.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Idaho hunter.....

your are right on that one coyote aller actually here in WI alot of people call the fox squirrel a red and these are1 1/2 larger than the greys both are tasty.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Squirrels

In WI we have mostly Grey, Reds and Fox. There are some area's where a very dominate black squirrel is found...which I was told is really a grey with some altered genes. The best way to prepare squirrel in my opinion is in soup. It can help "mask" the gamey smell that some animals seem to get via their diet. Personal favorite is making a barley soup and in place of beef add squirrel.... mmmmmmm

gluck
Old 01-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Squirrels

Red. Grey, Brown, Purple, Pink, Yellow, Black. I wouldnt care what color it was; i still wouldnt eat it [X(]

Quick Reply: squirels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.