Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

[Deleted]

Old 12-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-29-2003, 05:43 AM

Default RE: Hey Trappers!!!!

I am just now looking into getting started. Looks like it could be fun. Would like to hear any stories or tips and techniques you all have.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:02 AM

I trap and would love to have a trapping thread to this site. I also go the www.northamericantrapper.com for trapping information.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:56 PM

Stories we want stories
Old 01-13-2004, 05:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2004, 08:59 AM

Well, I've got a couple.
Me and a friend were going duck hunting on my friends slough and we were driving up the road and right at the opening in the fence something was digging up the ground where there used to be fox dens. So, thinking that this was a groundhog--possibly a badger we set a few traps in the den and left it, not sure if we would catch anything. The next day my friend was walking up that road and saw that one of the holes a trap was in was completely plugged. So him and one of my other friends proceeded to try to dig the hole out using just a stake--that's all they had. They got through the foot of dirt-the chain was going in the opposite direction of the den, and when they got through the dirt- they nearly pissed their pants. A nice-sized badger was waiting for them. So my friend went to the truck and got the .22 and stuck it in the 1 inch hole they had made-and when the badger attacked it he shot it in the head. For the next hour my two friends fought over who got to reach into the hole to pull the badger out. He is a rug on the wall now.

My next storie is about me. I was trapping a local wildlife and decided to set a fox/coyote trap on top of a small hill bordering grass and trees. I used a #2 victor foothold and dug a hole at the base of a dead tree and put half of a rabbit into it. I tore some hide off of the rabbit to put in the tree as a visual attractant. I also put some coyote lure on the tree. The next morning I was walking down the trapline and heard a chain being pulled-you know- CHING---CHING... so I got all excited, this was my first canine, but when I got to about 10 feet from the trap I didn't see anything, but the trap was in tall grass, so as I walked up to the trap I didn't see anything and it was quiet, then, CHING, and I saw the rabbit hopping around with the trap on its foot.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:35 PM

my first coon of the season this year was missing its tail and right front "hand". didnt make much off him put sure happy to see his eye reflect the headlights of my truck! love trappin!
Old 01-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

who-else, you sell pelts?

Is there still a market for them?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:30 PM

Let me tell you one from the other side of the fence. You've all heard about some crazy northern recluce who goes into his trapline in the early fall and doesn't come out of the bush til ice out in April. Well, I had this one guy in my patrol area who did just that. He was illiterate as well, not able to read or write. He and his wife would stay in all winter and live off the land, fishing and take a few rabbits, and trap. Real remote area too, accessible only by A/C or snowmachine. I had heard stories about him poaching so thought I would give it some time. Leg hold traps with teeth were prohibited in Ontario so when I did a discrete inspection of his line, sure enough I found about 15 of these traps set out for wolves and lynx. I left the traps where they were set, didn't touch or disturb them. I went to his camp and told the guy I had found 2 of these illegal sets and told him exactly where they were. I gave him one day to pick them both up and waited to see just what he'd do. Two days later, I snuck back in to check what he'd done about it and all 15 were gone. This guy had every opportunity to poach whenever he wanted and yet he turned out to be one of the most honest people I ever had the chance to meet. We became good friends over the years and even after I retired I can still fondly remember my days spent with him on his trapline.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.