Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

whats a good way to hunt rabbit?

Old 01-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Spike

Default whats a good way to hunt rabbit?

I've only done it one a couple of years ago and wasn't successful. Whats a good way to do this? I have a dog and am going to start taking him out with me because he seems like he would flush things out real well. But first i have to get a rabbit so he knows what he's looking for. How do you do it?
Thanks

Buck Boy
Old 01-01-2002, 02:12 PM

Default RE: whats a good way to hunt rabbit?

Well buck boy i live in louisiana and LOVE to rabbit hunt. i got bout 4 dogs what u have to do is first have good dogs and let umm run u gotta let them flush the rabbits out and i usally use a remington youth model 20 gauge with fiber optic sites, easy to swing. where do u hunt for rabbits?
Old 01-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Spike

I hunt in Pittsburgh Pa but dont really know where to hunt them in the woods. I'm guessing in some fields or thick brush? What should i be looking for? The dog I have runs back and forth in the woods like crazy but he doesn't know what he's looking for. thats why i'd like to get a rabbit so he could sniff it and get and idea what to do. Do you think this plan should work? If not, how did you train your dogs Swampman? Thanks

Buck Boy
Old 01-01-2002, 07:39 PM

well ur doggs are prob to old b/c i started mine out at a couple monthes let him run with the big dogs. but u should go in grazzy feilds tall grass or brier patches.o and just make a ribbit trap go on the internate i know they have to have a way to build one i dont have to time to type it all
Old 01-02-2002, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I have done for rabbits, since I have no dogs strictly for this, is take out a couple of my friends and walk CRP fields, we usually jump up two or three in a hurry, then we can find at least one more later. The best fields are ones with brush piles in them and water nearby, no piles, no problem, just build one after you trim trees or something. If you do build one, make it big, and preferably out of hedges, except try to make one side of something else so you can tear it apart to get rabbits to run out if they are holed up in it. Maybe try looking for them when you aren't hunting, kinda like scouting deer. Then just walk out like you're bird hunting. Take shotguns cuz you'll just get running shots. I know it doesn't sound like just walking around would work, but my girlfriend and I and her little bro have gotten just short of 20 rabbits so far this year, and have never taken a dog yet.

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

We go rabbit hunting almost every weekend here in West Texas and have killed well over 100 rabbits. We bring some friends over mess around all day shooting bottles and having skeet competitions then about 9:30 or 10:00 grab a couple .22s, .17s, and a big rifle just in case of a pig or coyote, 2 or 3 spotlights, and go have fun shooting kangaroo rats, cottontails, jackrabbits, or anything that moves. We usually stay out till about 1:00. If you get any use the body's as bait for traps. We're actually going this weekend with bows. I don't know what the laws are outside the great state of Texas so you might want to check.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Spike

Up here in Canada when the first snowfall hits the rabbits start truning white about 10 days after and usually the snow melts wihtin a couple of days. We take our 22 rimfires and walk the thickets knowing the rabbits are white and they stand out like sore thumbs. we stalk them and when a shot opportunity arises we pop em in the head..i never hunted rabbits with a shotgun seems too simple and overkill IMO
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

i love to hunt rabbits and do it almost every weekend. ive shot em walking by my self and over dogs as well but in my experiences from using pheasant dogs they point on the almost automatically but if your dog is more hyper he will jump em out for you IMO
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Spike

First off, why the hell are you idiots that are saying don't hurt the bunnies even in the hunting section? Get a clue! As for the question, yes it is legal in your state, and like others had said before there is great fun to be had rabbit hunting with a .22LR. It's much more enjoyable then hunting with a 12 gauge ( wouldn't use 12 gauge on rabbits anyways/// I use a 16 when I use a shotgun).

I've taken almost all of my rabbits with a Rem model 597 and its the challenge of the hunt that most hunters love about the sport. I would suggest using a shotgun only if you a hunting with dogs. Also like someone else said before me, make sure you have a back stop/firing into something like a tree when shooting squirrels because the .22LR cartridge will throw that bullet pretty far at god knows what. Be responsible and have fun!!!
==============
Free Games
Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Spike

just look for clearings next to thick brush, then look for rabbit signs, such as game trails, poop, or tracks. where theres habitat there's rabbits. cottontails usually nest in burrows under logs or tree roots and they come out in the morning and at dusk, or in the middle of the day during warm, sunny weather. happy hunting!

Quick Reply: whats a good way to hunt rabbit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.