HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Can you push gut squirrels like rabbits? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/427239-can-you-push-gut-squirrels-like-rabbits.html)

Father Forkhorn 12-11-2021 05:48 PM

Can you push gut squirrels like rabbits?

Can you do a squirrel like this guy in this video does a rabbit?

Bocajnala 12-11-2021 06:24 PM

I highly doubt it.

Not that I've ever heard or seen.

You can clean an entire rabbit without a knife. Skin will pull right off., Snap the legs and head off, strip the guts out. No knife even needed.

Not happening with a squirrel lol.

-Jake

Oldtimr 12-12-2021 08:01 AM

I am not so worried about getting blood on my hands that I would consider gutting a rabbit like that. Too much chance of rupturing intestines or the bladder, then you will have a contaminated body cavity with all the body heat trapped. One reason you gut rabbits is to get rid of the body heat as soon as you can. I always thought that was a stupid way of accomplishing a simple task.

Champlain Islander 12-13-2021 07:46 AM

When I used to hunt squirrels I cleaned them in the woods when they were still body heat hot. Real easy and things just peel off with the help of a small folding pocket knife unlike if you wait to get back home.

Father Forkhorn 12-13-2021 08:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've got squirrels in my plans in the next week and may give it a try just to see.

Oldtimr 12-13-2021 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4400158)
When I used to hunt squirrels I cleaned them in the woods when they were still body heat hot. Real easy and things just peel off with the help of a small folding pocket knife unlike if you wait to get back home.

They sure are easier to skin when they are warm.

Ridge Runner 12-19-2021 09:17 AM

if you have ever skinned both you will know squirrel hide is 50X tougher than rabbits.

Oldtimr 12-19-2021 10:20 AM

From age 12 to today I could not begin to tell you how many of both I killed. We always skinned our squirrels by opning the skin at the mid section all the way around the carcass, then pull the two halves of skin in opposite directions till it was at the feet, then remove the feet and head and tail and they were done.

Ridge Runner 12-19-2021 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4400366)
From age 12 to today I could not begin to tell you how many of both I killed. We always skinned our squirrels by opning the skin at the mid section all the way around the carcass, then pull the two halves of skin in opposite directions till it was at the feet, then remove the feet and head and tail and they were done.

I have always cut the base of the tail, then down around the hips, step on the back feet and pull, strip them to the forelegs, then pinch the "V" of hide on the belly and strip the back legs, then gut them, takes 5 minutes tops.

Oldtimr 12-19-2021 02:42 PM

We gutted ours after we skinned them as well.