HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Trapline Gun? Rough Rider 22? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/426825-trapline-gun-rough-rider-22-a.html)

NocksCounty 10-09-2021 05:22 AM

Trapline Gun? Rough Rider 22?

Good Morning. Just wondering what everybody is running trapline with. I am thinking of picking up the :Heritage Rough Rider 22", should I go 4.75" or 6.5" barrel length. I was thinking 4.75". Like i said this will be a pistol I just throw in the Ranger to go check the trapline.

Fyrstyk54 10-09-2021 08:07 AM

I always carry my H&R 949 .22 revolver with 5" barrel when tending my trapline.

Father Forkhorn 10-09-2021 10:50 AM

Though I don't trap, I I have the 6.5." Good for the money. One thing I would recommend is loctiting the screws. I had one come out on me on the ejector assembly where it screws into the barrel and had to order a new one. I read some others had that happen, too.

It's available with a .an additional 22 mag cylinder. Maybe that's worth considering.

Bocajnala 10-09-2021 11:56 AM

The rough rider is a useable little revolver. My only complaint is if you get one that doesn't shoot near point of aim you're stuck. On a trap line it would work fine.

For just a little more you can get one of the Ruger wranglers which is a better option in my opinion.

-Jake

Nomercy448 10-10-2021 06:24 PM

My trap line pistol since the late ‘90s has been a Ruger Mark II stainless. Nothing terribly wrong with a Rough Rider, but I like to enjoy my pistols for more than just utility, and I get more out of a Mark II than my Single Sixes. I hate reloading single action 22LR’s.

jrbsr 10-13-2021 11:16 AM

I have a Ruger Mark 2 with the long barrel, and 2 Taurus Tracker revolvers, in .22 LR, and .22 Magnum.
I use the Tracker .22 LR the most with CCI short hollow points.
Why .22 hollow points.
The shorts are quieter, and the hollow points kill the squirrels fast.
Just remember you get what you pay for.
Heritage Rough Rider .22 is a cheap made gun, if that is what you want go right ahead, but get the longest barrel you can find.
Short barrels are not accurate, longer barrels hit better at longer distances.

Just my 2 cents.

204_ruger 04-19-2022 05:36 AM

I carry the rough rider pistol. Its the 6.5 model. My next one will be the fiber optic adjustable sights model. Is there better pistols out there yes. But it gets the job done. And if u drop it in the water and cant get it. Your not out like if i was carrying my mark 3. I lost the screw that everyone has lost. New screw and lock tight good too go. I have use mine to dispatch the animals count less times. I trap on the lake some. And if u drop one there its gone.

elkman30 04-19-2022 09:06 AM

Never owned a rough rider but they look like a lot of fun.