HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Sprayed by a skunk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/425084-sprayed-skunk.html)

OddStripe 02-16-2021 01:20 PM

Sprayed by a skunk
 
I think plenty of us have gotten on the wrong end of a skunk. What was your experience with getting skunked? You strip off all your clothes and hop in the nearest river or clear out the grocery store of its supply of tomato juice? And how long did you go before you didn't stink (or how long did you go on stinking?)?

MudderChuck 02-16-2021 05:18 PM

Traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles I had a job scheduled, kind of a had to be there type thing, no excuses. Car crapped out somewhere in Oregon, wheel bearing and spindle. I had to leave it in a garage, parts on order. I took off hitchhiking to the next bus depot. I had my dog with me, a guy stopped to pick me up and I asked if the dog was Ok he said sure. I climbed in and then called the dog in, he came running out of the brush and jumped in the car. It took around three seconds, I was out of the car, the driver and his girlfriend were out of the car and left the car slowly rolling down the highway. My dog got Skunked. The whole inside of the poor guys car smelled like Skunk. I scrubbed him down with sand and puddle water multiple times and got most of the smell off. Got to say the guy that picked us up was good sport and gave us a ride to the bus station, all the windows rolled down and us breathing as little as possible. The people on the bus were none too happy about me and the dog either. :)

Wingbone 02-17-2021 02:45 AM

If I remember right, the formula is: A pint of hydrogen peroxide, a cup of baking soda, and a squirt of dish soap. Rub the mixture on the dog or car seat or whatever. Let it sit for a bit, rinse it off. The smell is gone. I have used this several times on a dog who couldn't be convinced that skunks don't have a sense of humor. It works. Pheasant hunters will mix it up ahead of time just in case.

Nomercy448 02-17-2021 10:11 AM

Iíd venture Iíve been sprayed 20-25 times in my life, and my dogs probably 5-10 times more than have I.

Simple dawn dishwashing soap and hot water is the most effective method. Itís not a ďzero stateĒ fix, but itís good enough to be able to walk in public without passersby smelling skunk funk on you, with zero state returned within a day.

elkman30 02-17-2021 01:01 PM

Makes sense since it worked for oil spill birds in Alaska. p.s. How'd you piss off so many skunks? :happy0157:

OddStripe 02-17-2021 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by MudderChuck (Post 4388277)
Traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles I had a job scheduled, kind of a had to be there type thing, no excuses. Car crapped out somewhere in Oregon, wheel bearing and spindle. I had to leave it in a garage, parts on order. I took off hitchhiking to the next bus depot. I had my dog with me, a guy stopped to pick me up and I asked if the dog was Ok he said sure. I climbed in and then called the dog in, he came running out of the brush and jumped in the car. It took around three seconds, I was out of the car, the driver and his girlfriend were out of the car and left the car slowly rolling down the highway. My dog got Skunked. The whole inside of the poor guys car smelled like Skunk. I scrubbed him down with sand and puddle water multiple times and got most of the smell off. Got to say the guy that picked us up was good sport and gave us a ride to the bus station, all the windows rolled down and us breathing as little as possible. The people on the bus were none too happy about me and the dog either. :)

Glad the guy was a good sport about it. I'm surprised sand and puddle water had any affect on the skunk odor.

OddStripe 02-17-2021 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 4388303)
If I remember right, the formula is: A pint of hydrogen peroxide, a cup of baking soda, and a squirt of dish soap. Rub the mixture on the dog or car seat or whatever. Let it sit for a bit, rinse it off. The smell is gone. I have used this several times on a dog who couldn't be convinced that skunks don't have a sense of humor. It works. Pheasant hunters will mix it up ahead of time just in case.

From what I've heard, dogs think when a skunk lifts it's tail, the skunk is saying "come sniff my butt." Except dogs don't speak skunk lol.

OddStripe 02-17-2021 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4388335)
Iíd venture Iíve been sprayed 20-25 times in my life, and my dogs probably 5-10 times more than have I.

Simple dawn dishwashing soap and hot water is the most effective method. Itís not a ďzero stateĒ fix, but itís good enough to be able to walk in public without passersby smelling skunk funk on you, with zero state returned within a day.

Wow! If such a thing exists, you'd be an expert in getting skunked. When was the last time you got sprayed? Or longest time between skunkings?

mrbb 02-17-2021 05:26 PM

HAHA
well you guys have me beat, as I have NEVER been sprayed Yet
I know I had some very close calls that I can still recall very clearly, but I have never been sprayed,
nor any of my dogs, or fellow hunting buddies!
now friends dogs, well that's another story, one buddy's dog got sprayed 3 night in a row trying to catch one once!
not the smartest dog in the world in my eye's or my buddies

on a side note, I have seen some crazy things with skunks, that if I didn;t see i wouldn;t believe
I have had raccoons in my yard and had skunks show up, and seen them coons run over shove there noses under a skunks butt lift its back legs up off the ground and walk it out of my yard as far as I could see
and seen it about 25 times now
talk about either brave or dumb raccoons, but NEVER did a skunk spray, and they were certainly looking into the eye of the danger when they did this


and another skunk story of sorts !

I had a friend that always had a skunk as a pet, he used to have there scent gland removed sop they couldn't; spray
said they make excellent guard dogs
his used to greet everyone that showed up, running at you as fast as it could

and if you didn;t know better, you turn and run away I think LOL




OddStripe 02-17-2021 05:37 PM


Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4388372)
HAHA
well you guys have me beat, as I have NEVER been sprayed Yet
I know I had some very close calls that I can still recall very clearly, but I have never been sprayed,
nor any of my dogs, or fellow hunting buddies!
now friends dogs, well that's another story, one buddy's dog got sprayed 3 night in a row trying to catch one once!
not the smartest dog in the world in my eye's or my buddies

on a side note, I have seen some crazy things with skunks, that if I didn;t see i wouldn;t believe
I have had raccoons in my yard and had skunks show up, and seen them coons run over shove there noses under a skunks butt lift its back legs up off the ground and walk it out of my yard as far as I could see
and seen it about 25 times now
talk about either brave or dumb raccoons, but NEVER did a skunk spray, and they were certainly looking into the eye of the danger when they did this


and another skunk story of sorts !

I had a friend that always had a skunk as a pet, he used to have there scent gland removed sop they couldn't; spray
said they make excellent guard dogs
his used to greet everyone that showed up, running at you as fast as it could

and if you didn;t know better, you turn and run away I think LOL

The way I hear it, dogs either learn not to mess with skunks after they get sprayed for the first time, or they never learn. Sounds like your buddy's dog is the latter. As for the raccoon, I guess they weren't causing enough harm to the skunk for it to spray, but that's brave or dumb to shove their nose that close to a skunk's ass. Funny mental image though. I have heard skunks can make good pets. They're cute.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.