Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Sprayed by a skunk

Old 02-17-2021, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OddStripe
The way I hear it, dogs either learn not to mess with skunks after they get sprayed for the first time, or they never learn. Sounds like your buddy's dog is the latter. As for the raccoon, I guess they weren't causing enough harm to the skunk for it to spray, but that's brave or dumb to shove their nose that close to a skunk's ass. Funny mental image though. I have heard skunks can make good pets. They're cute.
personally I think raccoons are one of the craziest critters in the woods, they seem to have zero fear at times and will take risks like no other critter
I have seen them steal apples out of the mouth of a bear here before, and seen the bears looking at them with a look like even THEY cannot believe they were that brave or dumb or just plain nuts! LOL

then again, I have also seen flying squirrels run over a bears head to get to bird seeds, but I think they just have really bad eye's and not so much dumb or brave!
in the summer time, I get a ton of bears here eating dropped bird seeds, grapes green apples or what not's,, and seen cubs chasing them flying squirrels all over the yard up and down tree's, rather funny to watch, but again, I think them squirrels have bad eye sight, even a little light one to view things messes up there vision I think, so maybe when I am watching I am part of there dumb sided behavior

but them coon's

Man they got some crazy in them! IMO!

Old 02-17-2021, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad the guy was a good sport about it. I'm surprised sand and puddle water had any affect on the skunk odor.
That and a little dried grass, I was basically on the side of a highway out in the middle of nowhere, sometimes you have to use what you have. It didn't kill the odor but after repeated treatments, it made it almost tolerable.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I’d venture I’ve been sprayed 20-25 times in my life, and my dogs probably 5-10 times more than have I.

Simple dawn dishwashing soap and hot water is the most effective method. It’s not a “zero state” fix, but it’s good enough to be able to walk in public without passersby smelling skunk funk on you, with zero state returned within a day.
No wonder the coyotes don't recognize you. Extreme camo.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I’d venture I’ve been sprayed 20-25 times in my life, and my dogs probably 5-10 times more than have I.

Simple dawn dishwashing soap and hot water is the most effective method. It’s not a “zero state” fix, but it’s good enough to be able to walk in public without passersby smelling skunk funk on you, with zero state returned within a day.
I always thought you were a " stinker " with your attention to detail . Now I know why !

Originally Posted by CalHunter
No wonder the coyotes don't recognize you. Extreme camo.
The coyotes might not have recognized him as human , but they still ran for their lives thinking they dont want to get sprayed by the biggest skunk they have ever seen !
Old 02-21-2021, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Between live trap and foothold trapping, running hounds and terriers for coons - especially in abandoned barns & homes - and nuisance animal removal services, I suppose I’ve had more opportunities for close contact with skunks than most folks, so my dogs and I have been sprayed more than most. Terrier pups were probably the worst perpetrators of wrangling skunks while coon hunting. The big hounds would know better and stay focused on raccoons, but the terriers generally found all fur to be “the enemy.”

I’ve had a few instances where the faint-but-lingering scent of skunk remained on Monday morning when I’d be engaging a business partner, wearing a suit and tie, but frankly, I’ve had more trouble washing away the scent of rotten corn or milo after cleaning out damaged bins than I have had in removing skunk spray.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Spike

Between live trap and foothold trapping, running hounds and terriers for coons - especially in abandoned barns & homes - and nuisance animal removal services, I suppose I’ve had more opportunities for close contact with skunks than most folks, so my dogs and I have been sprayed more than most. Terrier pups were probably the worst perpetrators of wrangling skunks while coon hunting. The big hounds would know better and stay focused on raccoons, but the terriers generally found all fur to be “the enemy.”

I’ve had a few instances where the faint-but-lingering scent of skunk remained on Monday morning when I’d be engaging a business partner, wearing a suit and tie, but frankly, I’ve had more trouble washing away the scent of rotten corn or milo after cleaning out damaged bins than I have had in removing skunk spray.
I guess you could always pass off the lingering skunk odor as cologne. Any business partners ever comment on it?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you could always pass off the lingering skunk odor as cologne. Any business partners ever comment on it?
I have typically brought it up to the folks on my side of the fence, and most of the time, I’ve been intimate enough with my external partners to be able to bring it up casually. I only recall one meeting for which I was rank before a “first impression” meeting and I had to make arrangements for carpooling from one location to the next, and table seating in the room to make sure I wouldn’t get TOO close to the potential customer/partner.

Honestly, skunk smell has been easier to conceal or eliminate than facial bruises, bandages, casts, crutches, etc which came about from my other pursuits as a professional bull rider and amateur Brazilian jiu jitsu and mma fighter. Getting sprayed once or twice, MAYBE three times in a year, and typically on a Saturday hunt, so gone by a Tuesday meeting, hasn’t been nearly as awkward to explain away as has been regaling customers with the tales of whatever black eye or cast I might have been wearing after one of a half dozen minor or major injuries in each given competition year with much longer lingering evidence.

Any and all of these typically been a net positive influence, as only one time in my career have I had a business partner state he was glad I was a partner instead of an employee, as he’d never be able to stick me on payroll knowing the insurance liability I represented in my extracurricular activities.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mentioned this thread to my wife this afternoon, and she reminded me of two instances where I have been exposed to chemicals which left me smelling as she claimed as “far worse than any skunk spray.”

The most recent - I contracted design and installation of a separation system for mid-distilling alcohols several years ago, but was left high and dry during commissioning, so I performed the start up and troubleshooting myself. Unfortunately, their design failed miserably, and I then had to redesign and rebuild on the fly - getting exposed to an alcohol which is used as a perfumant. It’s the chemical which, at 2-3% concentration, causes that dry burn at the back of a shot of vodka, or glass of wine. And I was dealing with a 95-98% concentrate - which also meant I had a splitting hangover headache for a couple weeks while working on the system. As if that wasn’t smelly enough on its own, the chemical is also a powerful perfumant, meaning it helped evolve any natural smell, for example, your body odor, or the smell of work boots - so even when the smell of the chemical itself subsided from my body enough to be tolerable, all of my work clothes, gloves, and boots smelled like a football player’s gym bag after two weeks of two-a-day practices in the summer heat. Just rank... I had to replace all of it, and some of the dress shirts and jeans I’d been wearing underneath.

The other instance, I was working on a non-corrosive, biologically friendly road de-icer product as potential replacement for the salts commonly used today. The primary pilot phase worked beautifully, the system I designed was beautifully efficient and effective, and we were ahead of schedule. The second phase of piloting used a waste stream from a commercial dairy as the substrate rather than the synthetic product we’d been instructed by the customer to use in the primary phase. The “real world” product did not align at all with their promised specifications, and quality was all over - it was largely rotten proteins and rife with organic acids... effectively, if you thought about rotten milk or yogurt, which had then been separated and allowed to rot AGAIN.... that was the feedstock they were sending me. The volatile compounds were incredibly binding to protein, for example, human hair and skin, and were desensitizing to olfactory receptors, so it caused us in the pilot plant to become desensitized to it... basically that meant it made us smell absolutely awful, with a scent which was exceptionally difficult to remove (it took WEEKS to debind and finally go back to normal), AND we couldn’t smell it on ourselves or each other, so we walked around really not knowing that we smelled so d@mned bad to everyone else...

Those were a lot more difficult to explain to other folks than the faint lingering whiff of skunk spray, and a lot more difficult to remove...
Old 03-22-2022, 04:33 AM
Spike

Hey I have been fortunate to never have been sprayed by a skunk. However I have had a few coon dogs and bird dogs that have been sprayed. While not as bad it is not fun dealing with them afterwards.