Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunt in Detroit

Old 04-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default Coyote Hunt in Detroit

I get Coyote on my property in Detroit and I have a small dog that I no longer let outside.

I'm looking for someone that would be interested in hunting them.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

best advice, is fence in your yard so they cannot get to your small dog!

odds are its illegal to hunt in the city limits, so your not going to find anyone to do so, and odds them getting ALL them,. is slim to none! they will keep coming back as they reproduce!

so the better way to protect your small dog, is make your property coyote proof, and not try and kill the coyote's! is a never ending game you will never win!

wish to be a pet opener, it comes at a costs to you, to protect them!

Old 04-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought the only coyotes in Detroit were the ones sneaking illegals across the border from Canada.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It takes a heck of a fence to keep Coyotes out. They can go right over a 7-foot cinder block wall and an even higher cyclone fence.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
It takes a heck of a fence to keep Coyotes out. They can go right over a 7-foot cinder block wall and an even higher cyclone fence.
well maybe your coyotes are better at things than what I have here
never ever seen one be able to jump over a 7 ft tall fence of any type, unless they can get traction and climb it, and or jump on other things to allow them to get higher!

most folks here have zero issues keeping them out of there yards and away from there pests with basic 5 ft chain link fences, never mind 7 ft tall ones!

never even heard of a person having there dog attacked in a fenced in yard by a coyote!
NOT saying its impossible(more likely they would try to dig under it, than jump over it if they did so too, but that too can be covered to prevent that too!
being I once had chickens, geese ducks, and like critters and live with wildlife on property all the time, I have a pretty good clue on what works and can be done too!
keep in mind,
you always have to think , a coyote is looking for easy meals and prey, like most all predators are!

a fenced in dog makes it a LOT harder for them to get in and out FAST,, so most times they will move on to else where due to the added steps, looking or that easier meal!

you can also add some electricity to things and keep them out even more so!(just have to have a barrier on inside to keep you PET from getting zapped too, which can be done

but if you live where things are that EAT small dogs,
your not going to have an easier time trying to KILL all the predators, over building a safer environment for your dog to be out in in your yard!
heck, small dogs can get picked off by birds of prey, and know this for a fact, buddy's girl friend had one of them small designed dogs, and left it out one night at camp to go potty, and a Owl took it away?

and as for shooting predators,typically, for every one predator you kill, new one's will keep coming into play, as if the first one's were there for food, odds are , that same food will draw in more!

so more you kill, more that will come to find that food that brought the first one's in , in the first place!
over time you can sure kill a lot, but sooner or later more will come back, its a never ending game!

and odds are its ILLEGAL to be hunting in city limits or discharging a firearm, or even SAFE to do so!

SO< a far better plan is, < protect your dog by making it as hard as possible for them to be harmed! by making a safe zone for them!
and the easiest way is a fenced in yard!
stand guard if you need to as well I guess, but I think a proper built fence is all that would be needed 99.9% of the time!

Last edited by mrbb; 04-17-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Or get a real big dog to be in the yard with the small one.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Or get a real big dog to be in the yard with the small one.
That is the first thing that I thought also, a badass big brother for the little one.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
best advice, is fence in your yard so they cannot get to your small dog!!
This is a real pet peeve of mine. People ask for a specific thing, and other posters just start posting their own unsolicited opinions and do not answer the OPs question at all.

odds are its illegal to hunt in the city limits, so your not going to find anyone to do so, and odds them getting ALL them,. is slim to none! they will keep coming back as they reproduce!
According to this article here (which is from 2016, so OP I would definitely do more research on the topic if you have not already):
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...igan/83553624/

It has always been legal to hunt coyotes on your property in Mich, and they have expanded the hunting season to year round, including at night. Cities typically have no discharge of firearms laws, but in most cities it is legal to shoot a bow. So I would check your local ordnances and find out what kind of hunting specifically would be legal, if any.

If it turns out no form of hunting would be legal, call a pest removal service and seek their assistance/advice.

While you will never reduce the population to 0 from hunting, coyotes are smart, and will avoid his property if they know that going there will probably cause them to get killed.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

It's a forum. You'll get all sorts of advice. Solicited or otherwise.
​​​​​​

Get over it.

-Jake
Old 04-19-2020, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.